Sunday, October 23, 2022

A Fall Meadow Walk


For many years, on incalculable trips along Route 33 to the Lehigh Valley, I passed the Hercules Cement Company plant at Stockertown, PA. A fellow gardener told me about a tour of a meadow project next to the plant. Being a lover of meadows, I went along with my husband on what promised to be an interesting outing. We were not expecting the tour to be so informative and inspiring, as well as a relaxing way to enjoy a sunny Pennsylvania fall afternoon. 


The plant, owned by Buzzi Unicem USA, is on a 700-acre site containing meadowland, forestland, fruit and chestnut trees, a creek, and a pond. They began the meadow project in 2013 on former farmland to create a more biodiverse environment. There are meadows of native perennials as well as acres of switchgrass. Switchgrass is a low-maintenance, deep-rooted, and long-living native plant. It has carbon sequestration properties, reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Each year, the company harvests the grass and uses it as biofuel in the cement plant, thus reducing their carbon emissions. Keith Williams, Environmental Manager, met us at the entrance of the nature area and gave us the background story. Keith's passion and love for the meadow project were evident. 


We were happy to see some people we knew, including staff from Edge of the Woods Native Plant Nursery, where I buy many of my plant materials. Edge of the Woods is a partner in the project, as are conservation and forestry entities, plus three school districts. School students have helped with tree planting and nest box construction. Their experiences at Hercules Meadow lead many students to pursue environmental science in college.


I expected to do a lot of walking, but it was a well-planned tour with a small bus shuttling groups uphill and a tour guide strolling back down with us to the starting point. At the top, a lookout tower gave magnificent views of much of the project. 


I could not do justice to our fabulous afternoon with my iPhone camera -- never-the-less let's take a virtual walk at Hercules meadow.

Clockwise from top right: 1. We started and ended the tour at an Amish-built pavilion (with delicious refreshments.) 2. I love the historic-type fence 3. Keith Williams, Environmental Manager, near our shuttle bus. 4. On the right of the fence is the foundation of a former house 5. The house foundation is now a garden with raised beds and pergolas as shown top left.

We took the bus to the top of the hill then climbed the tower. The views were magnificent. You can see the cement plant in the top left picture

I love the structure of plants as they go to seed in the fall. There is a wide variety of perennials in the meadow. Here are just a few:

Mountain mint Pycnanthemum Tenuifolium
Goldenrod Solidago

Wild rye Elymus virginicus

Boneset Eupatorium sp

Anna, a landscaper from Edge of the Woods, was a very helpful guide. The circle of rocks by her feet marks one of many small gardens created by school children. The gardens are somewhat neglected now as the children couldn't tend them during COVID. They will return to the meadow in 2023.

Anna took us to this small pond, or catchpool. So peaceful and beautiful.

We walked back through some woods. Top right: Zigzag Goldenrod Solidago flexicaulis

The pond near the house that is now a garden
Switchgrass Panicum virgatum

This company's commitment to environmental stewardship is commendable. It gives a much-needed feeling of hope for the future. 

I look forward to returning to the meadow in spring and summer.

Love,

Pamela x

 


 

I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 

I look forward to visiting your blog in return.


7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this blog. I had no idea this meadow existed. Next time my sister visits we will have to go. I love meadows. They are my favorite subject to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place. I'm so glad I was able to visit it thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad To Meet You And Others. Keith E. Williams

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing. So good to see a company caring about their environmental impact and doing something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a fascinating place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! There are few sights that I love as much as a natural meadow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place to visit. It's commendable that a company is giving something back, a lesson that could be learned by many.

    ReplyDelete