Saturday, May 15, 2010

'Ants In Your Pants' for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day


This is the first time I have participated in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. I feel it is a wonderful way to document what is blooming in ones garden each month. One of my most stunning blooms is the peony located next to the fountain in my cottage garden. The ants absolutely love it. I counted 7 on the bud, below. Ants do not harm peonies in any way, so there is no need to do anything about them.





There are pansies and violas blooming in containers and borders all over my garden:


Primroses and forget-me-nots brighten the cottage garden:



I planted colorful perennials in a tub near the steps to the deck:

My grandmother called these sweet williams 'gilly flowers'.
I always think of her when I see their sweet faces:


The rhododendron is about to burst into bloom:

The red azaleas at the front of the house:

The yellow honeysuckle is flowering on the arbor.
My daughter gave me the unusual cone-shaped container,
filled with pink geraniums, for Mother's Day:

On another arbor are pink honeysuckle:



These are the last of my lilacs to bloom.
Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the variety:



English bluebells greet you at the entrance to the Woodland Walk:

The bluebells are blooming along the banks of Bluebell Creek:




In the Kitchen Garden, the chives are displaying pretty pink flowers:


There are blossoms on the Wild Cherry trees:

The purple flowers of the ajuga are very striking, I think:



Finally, I found this blossom on a wild raspberry in the Woodland Walk:


Thanks to Carol for hosting Garden Blogger's Bloom Day. Don't forget to head over to Carol's blog and check out what is blooming in her garden and in gardens all over the world!

 
~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy bloom day! Your garden looks so colorful and inviting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy first bloom day! What a wonderful first submission. I just love the violas in the shoe container ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely garden you are creating. Great Bloom Day pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilacs and Peonies, just what I would grow if I lived in a cooler climate. Beatiful blooms at your place now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you really do have an English garden with all the right flowers. I'm beginning to think we need to move back to the north. happy bloom day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya Pam,

    A master gardener no less.
    (wondering what you mean by that).
    An English garden is right:
    all of those pictures could have been taken in my garden in Berkshire ( as in bark :-) in the UK.
    Apart from the peonies, which are still in tight bud.
    Nice to meet you and enjoy the rest of your visits today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some lovely plants in your garden. Thanks for sharing them today. Happy Gardeing. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, your garden is absolutely stunning. I love the Cinderella-ish shoe planter with the violas. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First visit to your blog. Lovely. I think you met your goal of recreating your English garden heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have a very similar climate, your peonies are just ahead of mine (nearly there!)but my primroses here in London finished a month ago. Happy first GBD, hope to connect again next month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have many beautiful blooms in your garden. I love your shoe planter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you have joined in for GBBD. I see lots of blooms in your garden that I also have in mine. Your shoe planter is wonderful with violas. I have hens & chicks in some old boots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is fulll of blooms, beautiful. I love the pansies in the shoe, so delightful. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a beautiful garden. Everything is so colorful and fun. I love peonies, ants and all. I had to chuckle. The shoe with the violas in it. I just bought the exact same ones today that are in the back part of the shoe. purple and orange. they are so pretty. Thanks for the garden tour. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have so many beautiful flowers Pam! I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that the ants don't harm the peony - I was worried for a moment there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful garden! I specially love your primula as that is one of my newest obsessions and I'm looking for them at nurseries everywhere I go. Your lilac looks to be 'Beauty of Moscow', one of my favorites... I have a couple of photos at my blog near the end of the May 15th posting... Larry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. I will leave a comment on each of your posts. Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your primroses and forget-me-nots are to die for! I want an area like that, but those two plants always die on me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What lovely blooms! I love your peonies and that lilac is a gorgeous color! Your slipper with the pansies is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would rather have that gorgeous lilac and not know its name, than know its name and not be able to acquire it. I wish I had room for more bushes.

    I have one peony bloom open. Yours sure are pretty. All of your blooms are.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried to leave a comment the other day and I'm not sure it registered for some reason, but I'll try again....your flowers are lovely! I've been to England and so much enjoyed the gardens. I now have my own "English cottage garden," that I enjoy blogging about very much. It is such a joy this time of year! Thanks for the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete