Monday, December 21, 2020

The First Day of Winter


Today is the astronomical first day of winter in the Northern Hemisphere, marking the winter solstice and the shortest day of the year. Winter weather arrived at my house even sooner, however, when a snowstorm blanketed the Northeast last Thursday. We had less snow than expected although at eight inches deep it was more than the total that fell all of last winter. On days like that I am grateful for a warm house and a fireplace. I relish staying indoors, appreciating that I don't have to move the snow -- thanks to my husband, Duane, and his snow blower and a neighbor with his snowplow.  I finished decorating for Christmas, forced some amaryllis bulbs, and watched backyard birds through the garden-room window.  

Further north saw much more snow, but this was enough for me.


I scaled down the amount of holiday decorations as the family wont be coming this year due to the pandemic. In the den, I adorned the mantle with a bit of green and red; I put up the Christmas tree. This is only the second year we haven't had a fresh tree, but our cute, skinny, artificial one is so much less work and takes up less space. 


The wooden cardinal bird was made by a family member as a wedding favor. Lovely memories.

More memories on the tree. It may be artificial, but every ornament has a meaning. We brought some with us when we emigrated from England over forty years ago.   

 In the garden room I made a little vignette, incorporating a poinsettia.

 I love poinsettias for their cheery red color. I placed another one in the dining room....

Sparkly deer, a music box, and a poinsettia on the dining table.

For several years Duane collected little schoolhouses that light up. We always display them with some of his model cars and other 'toys.' Jon puts the array together; he does a great job.

The Queen leads the parade in the village of schoolhouses

Carol, at May Dreams Gardens always quotes Elizabeth Lawrence, 'We can have flowers every month of the year.' I missed Carol's GBBD post this month, but the quote applies here. To ensure that I have blooms in midwinter, I force some amaryllis bulbs. This year, I purchases two online from White Flower Farm. In fact I bought kits comprising the bulbs, glass containers, and pebbles. (Yes, it's true that bulbs do not need soil to grow.) I assembled everything on the dining table.

River rock with Amaryllis 'Barbados' and glass-like  stones for Amaryllis 'Aphrodite'

The first step is to cut off all the dried, dead-looking roots - leaving any white ones.

Place approximately four inches of 'rocks' in the bottom of the container.

It was obvious that White Flower Farm did not include enough pebbles in the kits. I had a bag of river rock in the potting shed, but needed to send Duane to the Dollar Store for more of the glass-like ones. Thank you, Duane. The bulb is then covered except for the top third.

The next step was to add water to the container. The level of the water should not be higher than about one inch below the bulb to prevent rotting. Finally, I placed the containers in a sunny window. I turn them regularly so that the stems grow up straight.

Today, both bulbs have healthy green shoots.

 

Watching the birds at the feeder and at the heated water dish is another favorite snowy-day activity of mine.

Top: Male Northern Cardinal,
Bottom: Female Northern Cardinal
Top: Black-capped chickadee. Bottom: American goldfinch


Top: House wren. Bottom: White-breasted nuthatch

Whatever the holiday you are celebrating, I wish all of you peace and happiness, dear gardening friends. Stay safe!

Love,

Pamela x

 


I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 

I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

19 comments:

  1. Your Christmas village is cute. I love your bird visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And welcome to my blog. I'll pop over and take a look at yours.

      Delete
  2. I always put an amaryllis on my Christmas wish list, they're such fun bulbs as they're so quick to grow. Lovely to see your birds, they'll be thankful for food and fresh water in the snow. Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas and all the best for 2021, let's hope it's better than this year has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the most difficult things for me is planning for 2021 because we don't know what it will bring. My trip to London and Paris with grandson, Jon, was cancelled and I would like to reschedule it for September 2021, but just don't know.

      Delete
  3. So kind of you to make sure your birds have water despite snow. One of my hiking companions gave me a tree ornament, so that will become this year's kind tree story.

    Wish you a peaceful and happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit for taking care of the birds. My husband feeds them, provides water (heated in the winter) and maintains numerous bird houses. I just enjoy watching them.

      Delete
  4. You claim you scaled back, but it looks perfect to me! Everything has a real cozy holiday feel to it, and i wouldn't mind spending a winter in front of that fireplace :)
    The amaryllis look so promising. I was eyeing mine last week and nothing looks as good as those two. Maybe a winter treat to myself isn't a bad idea.
    I need to get some feeders going. I've been procrastinating but bringing the birds in closer is always so nice on a snowy day so I need to get moving.
    Merry Christmas and a happy Holiday season to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did scale back, Frank. For example, I have a large collection of Santa Clauses that remain packed away in two big boxes. Come to think of it, normally I probably overdo things. Maybe I should remember in future that less is more. After all, it's going to be less work putting everything away this year.

      Delete
  5. I love your holiday displays. I've been very negligent about buying any flowers of the season, but maybe it's not too late to get some poinsettias. I am enjoying the birds at the feeders. I haven't seen any goldfinches or siskins yet but I know they are in the area so I'm hoping they'll find me soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen bluebirds this winter. I'm sad because they are my favorite.

      Delete
  6. I was interested in the way you force the Amaryllis bulbs. I put mine outside, when frost is over, then bring them in September. I leave the leaves die off, then unpot, and leave bare rooted, for about 6-8 weeks.First year I was successful, had 2 blooms on each plant. Following year, beautiful leaves, but no Flower. I'm thinking I didn't leave them rest enough. I plan on planting them again soon. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years, I tried to keep my amaryllis for the next season using your method. I had limited results. Now I make my life easier with buying new bulbs each year.

      Delete
  7. Your holiday decorations are unique and beautiful. The village is wonderful. I have three amaryllis, and I'm enjoying watching them as they grow. I LOVE your metal snow measuring stick. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow measuring stick is new to us this year. It was a gift from friends who are moving to Florida to get away from the snow.

      Delete
  8. Your home looks so beautiful and festive all decorated for the holidays and the snow covered garden is magical. I love the snow measuring stick! We still have just enough snow left over from Winter Storm Gail to bring in Christmas Eve. Wishing you and your family a very a Merry Christmas filled with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed a peek inside your home for Christmas. Same situation here, no visitors, but I decorated nonetheless. But this year, I took it all down on December 26th. I think next year I’ll try one of those waxed amaryllis bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your snow gauge and your Christmas decorations, especially the village with the Queen’s Parade. Your house looks like what I imagine the inside of an English cottage to look like even though you don’t like in England anymore. The birds must be very happy with the food and heated water you provide, and you got great pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful to finally catch up with you here. I love seeing your garden and decorations. And I agree my little Christmas tree is so much easier than a real one these days. I have been wanting to grow my amaryllis in glass with stones so now I have the perfect instructions. Wishing you a Blessed and Healthy New Year dear Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing photos of your lovely home and your birds. I also like the snow measuring stick. As for amaryllis , my sister gifted me with the bulb coated in wax. The amaryllis grows and blooms without water or soil, i.e. without any gardening inputs at all. January is one of my favorite months, cold, quiet and undemanding. I'm looking forward to reading your recommendations on the seed catalogs for 2021.

    ReplyDelete