Friday, May 15, 2020

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, May 2020

One of the joys of May -- the golden leaves of Goldmound spirea (Spiraea japonica 'Goldmound')

It is very warm and humid on this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day with a thunderstorm brewing. It's a sharp contrast to one week ago when a late Polar Vortex hit the Poconos, zapping many new buds and leaves in my garden with -20°F wind chills. While I am tempted to illustrate this posting with pictures of my dead plants, I choose to remain positive and show the good things that are happening today. I'll limit my negativity to just one photo -- the weeping redbud tree.

Frost damaged flower buds on Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud tree, Cercis canadensis "Covey"

While there will be no flowers on the weeping redbud this year, there are blooms on other plants. Let's take a short walk to see what we can find.

Clockwise from top right: Violets (Viola sp.), primrose (Primula vulgaris), Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis), Dwarf crested iris (Iris crostata)

Violets in the cottage garden are scattered among the forget-me-nots and primroses -- reminding me of my mother's garden in England.  'Freckles' is my favorite.

Violet (Viola sororia 'Freckles')

I moved Jacob's ladder to give it more space.  It seems happy in its new spot in the Serenity Garden.

Jacob's Ladder or Greek valerian (Polemonium caeruleum)

Some lilacs and one of my bleeding heart plants were damaged by frost, but others were fine as you can see.

Top: Lilac (Syringa vulgaris). Bottom left: Bleeding Heart (Dicentra sp.) Bottom right: Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium caeruleum)

 Most of the daffodils have finished blooming; "Pheasant's eye" is always last. A great favorite of mine.

 Daffodil Narcissus 'Pheasant's Eye' -- a very fragrant daffodil

Before the freeze, I started mulching my beds with compost as I do every spring. Yesterday, as warm weather returned, I worked on the Serenity Garden. Many hostas were damaged, but I'm hoping compost and a little TLC will revive them.

The Serenity Garden mulched with mushroom compost

Of course, backyard birds are busy at this time of year.

When the red, red, robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' ...
Once again the chickadees are nesting in the jug birdhouse on the porch

To end on a joyous note, the first alliums are beginning to open in the pollinator garden. Their opening buds always intrigue me. I'm not sure about the giant alliums, "Globemaster"; I hope they survived. I don't know what these little ones are called as they were in an unmarked bag at the garden center, where I purchased them cheaply. They have bloomed reliably for many years and this year they didn't let a bit of frost bother them.

Allium sp.

I'm linking with Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Thank you, Carol for hosting Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Do go to Carol's blog and see what is blooming in her garden and in gardens all around the world.

Happy GBBD everyone,
Pamela x


Doodles, always climbing
 
I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely. I always look forward to my visits to your wonderful garden. Happy Bloom Day and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color of that violet is so unusually beautiful.loved the playful little birdies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the birds, too, Arun. A true joy of spring!

      Delete
  3. You're certainly having to deal with some challenging weather this year. I do love alliums, mine are blooming now but I lost quite a few of them a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple Globemaster alliums next to red peonies are a beautiful site in my June cottage garden. I'm afraid the frost may have zapped the buds on both. It will be so disappointing if that is so.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never grown Freckles, but have wanted to quite often. Maybe next year. I had the daffodils you call Pheasant's Eye, but they were named Original Poet's. I like your name better! They were very very late bloomers, after the other daffodils were long gone. I wish they were the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I got the name wrong, Lisa. But I like it so will stick with it.

      Delete
  6. How unlucky! We had the polar vortex here in Connecticut too but my garden escaped harm. My current projects are raising the beds in the kitchen garden (feeling my age in my back and want to sit to tend) and removing a common orange daylily which has rampaged through some flower beds - endless possibilities of what to plant next. We have even cleared a low south facing wall which we hope will provide a micro zone 6 climate for a few sought after favorites. Like you we are supposed to be zone 6 but our hilltop is definitely zone 5b as we learned to our cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see pictures of your garden, so hope you will identify yourself!

      Delete
  7. Dear neighbor, just wanted to say how beautiful your cottage garden looks. I have enjoyed taking peeks at it on my afternoon walks for years now. Btw your goats and miniture horse Charm always put a smile on my face for that I thank you! :) Happy Spring♡ Pam on Cane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoy my garden, Pam. I love talking with you over the fence when you are taking your walk.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your Redbud blooms got ruined by the cold, but at least you'll get to enjoy the heart-shaped foliage as it emerges. All your other foliage and flowers look beautiful and the bird photographs are lovely. I have been trying to get a photo of a robin for weeks and they are just too fast for me, so congratulations Pam for the nice capture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the leaves on the redbud don't appear to be damaged, Lee. Some birds are difficult to capture -- we have a phoebe that is too fast for me.

      Delete