Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, April 2020



The miracle called spring is happening in my garden on this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day exemplified by the weeping cherry tree clothed in cascading blossoms. The tree is at its most stunning this year. One of the things I like about the meme (thank you Carol for hosting) is being able to look back to Bloom Day in previous years to see how the garden progresses. The weeping cherry is a perfect example. See how it looked seven years ago when I first planted it. Then look at it last year.

Snow fountain weeping cherry Prunus x 'Snofozam' today

Daffodils continue to dominate my landscape, although I notice this morning that a few blooms are fading. The Daffodil Walk up to the front porch is drawing comments from passing walkers out for a little fresh air at this time of lockdown and social distancing. Likewise the daffodil bed along the front fence is appreciated by my neighbors. There is very little foot traffic, or car traffic for that matter, but I'm glad to brighten the day for those few who venture out.

Daffodil Narcissus still beautiful in all of my gardens

Last year I installed a rain garden. I planted it with native plants that don't mind wet feet. At the beginning of the month, the marsh marigold started to bloom.

Marsh marigold Caltha palustris

This week we had a violent rain storm that dumped four inches of rain in a short time and blew 50 mph gusts of wind. The rain garden filled up, the pond overflowed, and the some of the lawns flooded.

After the Storm. Top: Rain garden. Bottom: Serenity Garden lawn.

The flooded lawn is where the catalpa tree was removed last year -- probably its roots rotted. We hope to replace it with a dawn redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides, that grows well in wet conditions. Meanwhile, I'm concerned about the lack of shade in that garden; it is full of shade plants. I will monitor it carefully. I was happy to see the rain garden drained within 24 hours, so no plants were damaged there. And the second marsh marigold is starting to bloom.

Rain garden after the storm.

Some of the shade plants I am concerned about in the Serenity Garden now the caltalpa tree is no more are bloodroot, brunera, hellebore, and hosta.

Top: Bloodroot Sanguinaria canadensis. Bottom: Forsythia over the picket fence, Left to right: Bloodroot, Brunera 'Jack Frost', Hellebore Helleborus 'Ivory Prince'

The deer have their own solution to the hosta problem -- eat them!

Hostas are shooting up, but the deer are nibbling them down.


Some of the photographs I took today seem identical to those I posted the last several years. The forsythia is a case in point, although we can see that it has now spread to cover the length of the picket fence ....

Forsythia Forsythia x intermedia grows the whole length of the Serenity Garden fence.

Another spectacular show is the blooming andromeda in the Woodland Walk. Never have I seen it  displaying its delicate, hanging bells so beautifully. The carpet of blue vinca, Vinca Minor, adds to the loveliness.

Japanese andromeda Pieris japonica 'Mountain Fire.'

Primroses are beginning to bloom ....

Primrose Primula vulgaris

 More blossoms on this Garden Bloggers Bloom Day ...

Clockwise from top right: Fritillary Fritillaria meleagris,  Grape hyacinth Muscari armeniacum,  Lungwort Pulmonaria, Creeping Phlox, Phlox subulata

My only tulip was planted by Duane's mother in a corner next to the tractor shed where it is safe from marauding deer. It has bloomed faithfully for 30+ years. I would like it to be in a more prominent place, but fear moving it may prove to be to its detriment.

My mother-in-law's beautiful tulip

And I put a wreath of tulips on the deck door even though we have no visitors due to the lockdown.



Our fields are sown; spring has sprung. Unfortunately, we have a cold snap forecast for the rest of this week and I fear for the buds on my crabapple, redbud, lilacs, and other trees. I am sending up a little prayer.

Our farmer planted oats this week.

Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, dear friends. I am going over to May Dreams Garden to see what's blooming around the world. Hope to see your garden there.

Stay safe and healthy,
Pamela x

Fritillary Fritillaria meleagris

I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

14 comments:

  1. The weeping cherry is beautiful, the blossom must bring lots of thoughts of your mum with it, I know she enjoyed the cherry tree you had planted here in England for her. The marsh marigold in my little pond is just beginning to bloom, it's so vigorous and puts on a lovely sunny display. I do love primroses but also love seeing the snakeshead fritillaries at this time of year too. I've got a few in my garden which come up every year and I'd hoped they'd spread but they haven't so far, not like the lily of the valley which behaved itself for a while but is now firmly establishing itself all around the edges of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsh marigolds are sure pretty, but I don't have anywhere really suitable. You don't need physical visitors to enjoy your wreath, your visitors here are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Weeping Cherry is beautiful and makes such a statement in the garden. The daffodils are all so pretty too! The garden has been bringing peace and acting as a place of refuge during these difficult times. Hope you are staying safe and well and thank you for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Your weeping cherry is stunning! It looks like your garden is just a bit ahead of mine, now. Your daffodil walkway is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blog!Love your cheerful Daffodils. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular blooms. Spring really does seem like a miracle, doesn't it, especially this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your arrangement of flowering plants over those fences looks so spectacular .That weeping cherry shot is like a dream.Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tulip that returns every year - I need one of those in my climate. I really love your fountain of cherry tree.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. I'm loving all of those daffodils :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your weeping cherry tree is so beautiful! Your daffodils are amazing too and your forsythia is huge compared to mine! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so nice to see these peaceful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see your very different garden. You are definitely about a month behind us weather wise. I love your tulip wreath on the door. B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Link to the Garden Gate?)

    I would covet a very own marsh marigold - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Four inches of rain! Oh, my. I'm glad your house didn't flood and you are safe. It is a shame you are loosing your shade plants. The garden has always been so lovely. The tulip is amazing to have survived so long in what appears to be a perfect spot!
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete