Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Flower Show


A small part of the Mare Nostrum (Our Sea) exhibit showing the blues of sky and sea.

This year's Philadelphia Flower Show with its Riviera Holiday theme is a feast for the senses with lavender, culinary herbs, and lemons; with design elements of a tranquil blue-green palette that evoke sea and sky; and with the warm, terracotta colors of Mediterranean houses. This is my most-liked show for several years. My photographs cannot begin to do it justice.

I've put together a few photos of my favorite exhibits for you to scroll through, beginning with the picture above of one of the many 'blue' vignettes by the American Institute of Floral Designers. The centerpiece of the entry garden is a 60 years old olive tree from Visalia, California. The focal point of the show is Princess Grace of Monaco's rose garden.

Olive Tree Olea Europaea 'Manzanillo' -- 60 years old
Lavender everywhere. Here is Jagged Lavender Lavandula Buchi
Warm, terracotta colored textured walls and Mediterranean-style pots
Arbor with the famous Sfusati lemons

The Embassy of Monaco in Washington, DC pays tribute to Princess Grace (Kelly) who was from Philadelphia. Their exhibit reveals Princess Grace's passion for flowers. She created the Garden Club of Monaco and, interestingly, returned to Philadelphia in 1976 as a flower show judge. In today's show, her wedding dress is surrounded by rose arrangements that depict her beloved rose garden in Monaco. Princess Grace co-authored a book called, My Book of Flowers -- I didn't know that. Fascinating excerpts from the book are displayed among the roses. Do read the one I've included below -- you will learn something new about her.

The Princess Grace Rose Garden with replica of her wedding dress
The Princess Grace Rose Garden
Many quotes from Princess Grace's garden book are included in the display

A hillside of terraced houses is depicted by brightly colored panels, each covered with flowers, in a display by Shaffer Designs of Philadelphia. Italy's ancient fishermen painted their homes in bold and pastel colors to easily spot them as they returned from sea. Again, my photographs fail to do justice to this clever exhibit, with each 'house' suspended from above, accurately giving the feel of houses built upon a steep hillside. My grandson, Jon, was keen to point out the many orchids (his favorite flower) used here.

Le Strade delle Cinque Terre: The Streets of Five Lands displays a hillside of terraced houses

I adore Robertson's seaside courtyard that exactly exemplifies a beautiful and serene Riviera escape.  This is my favorite exhibit in the whole show.

Seaside Courtyard Escape by Robertson's Flowers and Events
The courtyard escape utilizes natural textures of terracotta and wrought iron                  


Another striking display (though not my favorite) is of a poolside villa. Large, arched windows in the garden wall frame views over the bay and the flashing lights of the Cannes firework festival. Cleverly done.

Lumiere de Jardin (J. Downend Landscaping)

 Love these garden rooms:

Garden Bedroom
Three sides of an exhibit that shows inside and outside garden rooms

My favorite interior room:

The Bohemian Room

We stood in line to see the miniature settings. It was well worth the wait. Jon was particularly interested as he makes and maintains the miniature gardens at my home. These at the Show are a little different in scale, with one inch equaling one foot.  Each entry must use at least eight live plants.  I photographed every one and would love to show all of them to you, but just chose two. The first, 'Punting on the Thames' from the children's book, TheWind in the Willows, took the blue ribbon. My favorite was made by the daughter and son-in-law of my dear friend, Jenny Rose. Their Cotswold scene took second place. It is remarkable that most of the items in each miniature setting are completely made by hand.

Punting on the Thames
Carefree Cotswolds: An English Escape

There are some new events, including pop-up learning centers. We enjoyed a demonstration of making a miniature garden while waiting in line.

One of the new judging categories is a colorful display of decorated carts. 

One of several flower barrows. This one has a free library at the handle end.

The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society has produced its flower show for 191 years. It is the nation's largest and longest-running horticultural event. The show covers 33 acres of the Philadelphia Convention Center.  In addition, there is a large plant competition in the Horticourt, there is a 'hub' with exhibits from colleges, schools, horticultural societies, and the like. There are places where you can make crafts, enjoy live butterflies, eat lunch, and taste wine. There are hundreds of vendors. And there is more. I've included a small portion of the show here. I hope you enjoyed it.

Now I am ready for spring!

Happy Gardening,
Pamela x

Mediterranean Ocean Waves
Interesting use for a bird bath

A Pop-up Learning Center




 
I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could stop on over! Our Madison garden expo in February always seems to early--when it's cold and snowy outside and too much of a stretch to get excited about spring. But this show is right on. And the displays look great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like there's so much to see, I think you could do with more than a day there in order to see everything you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for sharing this. The photographs are beautiful and I enjoyed the virtual tour. I hope to be able to attend someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look enticing - down to the little arched bridge, and joyous colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. You make me wish I could attend the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely show! So much inspiration...
    Have a great weekend,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful event -- I hope I can attend someday. Thanks for showing us all the good parts, so we can attend the show from our armchairs! Hope you are well these days, Pam. Best, -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I absolutely enjoyed it! The miniatures are amazing, I don't remember them from the last time I went, but maybe it's been too long :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that garden show looks amazing! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam, Thank you for sharing your photos and descriptions. I wasn't able to go this year, instead I visited the NYBG's Orchid show, which was stunning. My favorites from recent Philadelphia flower shows were "Hawaii" and Our National Parks".
    Joan (Pocono garden club)

    ReplyDelete