Friday, June 10, 2016

Monroe County Historical Association Garden Tour



I dropped my camera just before H.H. and I left for the Monroe County Historical Association Garden Tour; neither the zoom nor the macro works now. I couldn't use my DSL as the battery needed charging, so we took the tour with less than perfect photographic equipment. As a result, I feel I didn't do justice to the wonderful properties we visited. Here are my best pictures from four of the nine gardens open to visitors that day. I'll keep the narrative brief in this long posting. Enjoy the tour with me ...

Shirley's and Todd's Gardens
Rimrock Gardens is an unusual garden center with an amazing two acres of unique plants including 500 types of hostas. I was flabbergasted by 'Curly Lampost,' a rare Norway Spruce with unmatched visual impact. It has a very narrow growth habit with tight, congested puckered leaves.

Acer Platanoids 'Curly Lampost'
Shirley and Todd own this paradise
With beauty at every turn, we meandered through Rimrock Gardens
Part of Shirley's and Todd's miniature hosta collection.
Tasteful ornamentation in every bed

With my love of hostas I was fascinated by 'Gunther's Prize' an unusual sport of 'Sum and Substance.' Love its shiny golden leaves streaked and flecked with green hues.

Hosta 'Gunther's Prize'

I came away with a couple of plant purchases for my own garden -- who could resist?

Sharon's and Vic's Gardens
Massive columns created from former powerline poles mark the entrance to this beautiful property. We parked there and enjoyed the peaceful walk to the house past a wildflower meadow.

Driveway to the House
Sharon greeted us warmly and showed us her beautiful gardens.
One of the many whimsical pieces of 'garden art'
The Shade Walk path of white marble chips
A lovely statue in a circle of trees is the Shade Walk's 'destination'

The bracket-work of the house gables has an Asian influence, reflected in plantings such as flowering quince. We admired collections of hydrangea, clematis, lilacs, hosta and roses.

Foundation plantings at the California Arts and Crafts style house

This property is deep in the woods and if you are wondering why there's no deer damage to the beautiful plants: like many Pocono gardeners, Sharon and Vic surrounded their beautiful gardens with fencing, including electric wiring.

Bonnie's and Charlie's Garden 
Bonnie, a fellow master gardener, has a spectacular garden. We visited before but not in the springtime when trees, roses and clematis were blooming. I love the free-form design with vegetables planted among the flowers. The pond and waterfall provide a restful destination.

Raised beds with tomatoes, eggplant and other vegetables among the flowers.
Bonnie graciously gave us a tour
Tuteurs with clematis. Rhododendrons make a statement next to the house
Waterfall. Loved the frogs on the side of the pond.
Roses in bloom; earlier than mine
Inviting seat under the Dogwood tree
Eryngium planum Sea Holly

The tour was further enhanced by Bonnie's and Charlie's son playing beautiful, relaxing guitar music. It was difficult to leave. 

Lizzy's Garden
Lizzy bought this 1780's house just over a year ago. The garden was a blank canvas and after weeding and clearing the ground, Lizzy began with foundation planting and a vegetable garden. Her artistic talents are obvious in the creative ornamentation at every turn.

One of several colorful window boxes
Lizzy proudly showed us her achievements thus far.
She has a flare for finding unusual garden ornaments.
Foundation planting
Flower garden and fountain. A brick path takes you through the arbor.
The vegetable garden is in a raised bed to the left of the picture.

Outbuildings on the property include a restored garden cottage, a schoolhouse and a chapel. As Lizzie says, "They are ripe for garden development."


Italianate chapel built in the 1860's.

Liz's garden, in its infancy, is full of exciting possibilities. 

The weather was perfect, the gardens sublime and the hosts charming; a wonderful day.  I hope you enjoyed this very small taste of the places we visited.

Happy Gardening,
Pamela x



'Jigsaw' pathway at Rimrock Gardens

~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

12 comments:

  1. I read blogs via Feedly and had already seen your post.
    But I see my blogroll for yours says '1 week ago'.

    Try the options under 'Troubleshootize' via Feedburner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've 'pinged' and 'resynced' and read everything in 'Troubleshootize' but no luck -- this latest post still hasn't appeared in blogroll. Thanks for your advice. It may be a good idea for me to repost under a new date, but how do I do that?

      Delete
    2. The post appeared in blogroll some 36 hours late. So frustrating.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful garden tour. I love visiting other people's gardens and seeing what they've done, you can get lots of inspiration for your own garden that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I dropped my camera several times, so I know how you feel! Nevertheless, your pictures are good, and I enjoyed strolling through the gardens. 500 types of Hostas... amazing! 'Gunther's Prize' is a beauty! Each garden has its own character, and I always appreciate people who open their gardens for public. Thank you Pam and thanks to all the gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely and inspirational gardens. They really make me want to get out there and do a better job with my own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have many Hosta growers up here, so I know what visiting a private garden with 500 Hostas is like. It is hard to not take one home. I too was wondering about the deer. PA has so many and growing a garden in the woods becomes a challenge. The tour was lovely. Our garden tour season begins next week with our Lewiston Garden Festival and I will be in PA! Always fun to go home to the "mountains".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely if you could swing by my gardens while you are in PA, Donna.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for taking us along this lovely garden tour with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, sorry to hear about your camera, I've done that too. 'Curly Lamppost' is an amazing specimen! The gardens are all lovely, there's nothing I like better than touring other people's private havens. Every one is so very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people tour your private haven, Karen. Wish I was one of them!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful set of gardens. I am so sorry that your camera broke... it's so annoying when things like that happen, but doubtless these gardens and their hospitable owners will have more than made up for your camera. Well done for treating yourself to some new plants!

    ReplyDelete