Tuesday, November 16, 2021

A Gardener's Thanksgiving


The Bluebird of Happiness Visiting my Garden

My article, 'A Gardener's Gratitude List,' was published in the Pocono Record newspaper and in the Penn State Extension newsletter the week of Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. This is the blog posting I wrote at that time. The sentiments resonate with me more now, since we are still enduring effects of the Pandemic. It is my gardens that are getting me through these trying times. I can't say often enough how thankful I am for them. Here are just six reasons why:

1. The Beauty of the Seasons
I am thankful for year-round color, beginning with spring flowers then summer-blooming perennials. Of course, there is nothing more lovely than autumn in the Poconos, followed by the beauty of shrubs and trees in winter--such as the red twig dogwood in the snow.

Early June in my Cottage Garden

2. Thank a Plant
Plants are important to almost every aspect of our life including breathing and eating. My kitchen garden gives so much; I know my produce is free from chemicals. Fresh vegetable are 50% higher in nutrients than those that travel many miles to the supermarket. 

Bounty from my Kitchen Garden

3. Butterflies, Bees, and Hummingbirds
Besides being grateful for their beauty, I am thankful for the work of pollinators. Furthermore, I am thankful for beneficial insects that protect our vegetables from insect bullies.

Ruby-throated hummingbird on fuschia
Monarch butterfly on milkweed

4. Connecting with Friends and Neighbors
Like most of you, dear gardening friends, I need others who are willing to listen to my tales of garden successes and failures. I am blessed with friends who are prepared to dig beside me when I need help.


Gardeners from the local Women's Club gave my gardens a final grooming before an important event

 5. Health and Exercise
Gardening burns calories, reduces stress, and improves your overall physical and mental well-being. Gardening allows the brain to relax and releases the the tension caused by our addiction to technology - and all those Zoom meetings.

Gardening is good for your health.

6. Gardens Everywhere
I am thankful for public garden spaces that I visit for new ideas. The Philadelphia area, withing reach of the Poconos, has some of the best botanical gardens in the country. I managed to visit a few this year, including my favorite, Chanticleer.


Chanticleer -- my favorite public garden

These are just six reasons for being thankful. I can think of more, such as how gardening evokes memories, slows me down, and puts worries in perspective. You can read the full article HERE. It is even more relevant today.

What are you thankful for this holiday season?
Pamela x




I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

 

5 comments:

  1. I like your thankful list and second every one, especially the seasons and especially this season which is absolutely the best one in the area where I live. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that we are thankful for the same gardening things although we live in such different zones--with you in Florida, Dorothy. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

      Delete
  2. Yes, there's much to be thankful for and I agree with each and every one on your list. Fabulous photos of the bluebird and the hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely there is so much to be thankful for in our gardens! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful for the joy that my garden brings to me every year, and for the autumn show that just finished. And for my monthly visits to your garden blog!

    ReplyDelete