Sunday, July 18, 2021

How to Prepare For Visitors to Your Garden


This summer is proving to be very busy now that many of the COVID restrictions are lifted. I've held several events in the garden, starting with the Celebration of Life that I told you about last time. Since then, we have given garden tours; held a Fourth of July BBQ for family and friends; and a coaching session with one of my clients. I have more tours and a tea booked for the rest of July into August. Of course I want my garden to look its best every time. As a procrastinator, I tend to wander around (imagining how I would like my gardens to look) while achieving nothing. Knowing that company is coming and having a deadline, however, motivate me to act. Over the years, I developed a strategy, a six-point plan, to neaten, improve, and dress-up an outside space. You don't have to do every one of the six tasks, just what your time and budget allows. 

 

(Collages are labeled clockwise from top left)

Perennial geranium 'Rozanne'; miniature hosta; bush beans 'Three color blend'; Cleome

Liatris spicata 'Kobold'; Easter pansy hanging on in spite of heat; Tradescantia; Salvia 'Amistad'

1. Assess the State of Your Garden

 

It’s difficult to judge the state of your garden when you see it every day. Take photographs and scrutinize them carefully. Stand where your guests will gather, look around, and identify the less satisfactory areas. I know my guests usually head for shady spots on a hot sunny day, so I look for weeds and dead branches, for example, in those places. I also examine areas that have the most flowers, like my cottage garden, and determine the work I need to do there. In order to make a good first impression you must have a clean, tidy and inviting entrance, whether it’s the front door or the garden gate. Tackling the most noticeable spots will have the greatest effect.

 

Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'; Echinacea purpurea, 'Milkshake'; Phlox 'David'; Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinkie Winkie'; Shasta daisies; Zinnia 'White wedding'; Goose necked loosestrife; and in the center Yarrow 'The Pearl'

2. Clean Up, De-clutter, and Conceal

 

Once you decide which areas to improve, make sure those places are clean and uncluttered. Put away children’s toys and pick up the trash. With a storage option, such as a garden chest, you will have garden paraphernalia tidied away in no time. Clean up after your pets. It won’t matter how lovely your flowers are if they are surrounded by dog mess. Clear away garden waste, rocks, and rubble for an instant improvement. Sweep and clean the deck and patio using a power-washer to remove dirt build-up and algae. A deep clean will make an enormous difference to the overall appearance of your yard. Renting a power-washer is affordable and the quickest way to achieve this. Wipe down outdoor furniture. Drain birdbaths, clean out any debris, and add fresh water.  Consider screening to hide the areas in your garden that are not going to look great no matter what you do: garbage-can storage, compost piles, propane gas bottles, and the like. Willow, bamboo or lattice screening are easy to install and will give your yard an instant facelift. I prefer to purchase a roll of bamboo fencing that I quickly put in place using zip ties. Or I pot up a large plant for an instant, living screen. 

 

Cosmos Sea Shell Mixture; Echinacea purpurea, 'Wild berry'; Phlox 'Bright eyes'; Calla lily; Cosmos Sea Shell Mixture; Sedum blooming in the birdhouse rooftop garden

3. Focus on the Flowers

 

Guests are naturally drawn to flowers, so look for anything that may detract from your beautiful blooms. Deadhead where necessary. This means pinching or cutting off the stem below spent flowers and just above the first set of full, healthy leaves. Deadheading makes the plant tidy and has the added bonus of encouraging more blooms. Remove unsightly leaves and stake flopping stems. Pull up unhealthy or dead plants, roots and all. If necessary, add new ones to the beds closest to the main gathering areas. Bury whole plastic containers of plants in the ground to avoid transplant shock and save time. You can plant them properly after the visitors have left. Remember to water the new flowers daily.  To avoid distractions from your blooms, pull large weeds but don’t get carried away; no one will notice a small one. Put together a grouping of containers with your favorite flowers or create one big, beautiful focal flowerpot. In midsummer, I like to use perennials for this purpose then in the fall I plant them in my flower garden.To save time you can just drop them into your planters without removing them from their nursery pots.

 

Nasturtium 'Empress of India'; Celosia; Bee balm Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline';          Crocosmia 'Lucifer', Tuberous begonia,

4. Cut the Lawn

 

Mow, trim, and edge the lawn. Don’t mow too low or your grass may turn brown. Also, you encourage weeds when you eliminate the weed-suppressing shade of taller grass. A crisp edge to your lawn can make a significant difference in its appearance. This will not take much time especially if you have access to a power edger. A round-point spade is an effective edger (without the pollution.) Hold the spade at a right angle, insert it into the soil along the border, and push it forward for a clean cut. I use rocks around my flowerbeds (well, this is the Poconos where they are free!) and a power trimmer quickly neatens their appearance.  

 

Marigold; Hermerocallis 'Siloam Penny; Hermerocallis hybrid; Pole bean 'Scarlet runner'; Hermerocallis 'Chorus line' (two pictures)

5. Mulch

 

An organic mulch of wood chips or bark is the perfect quick fix, serving as a splendid background for new plants and providing a finished look. Apply a fresh layer or simply rake the existing mulch lightly. Buy the finest-textured mulch you can find for a simple, uncluttered appearance. I use cedar mulch because it is less likely to produce nuisance fungi like the artillery fungus that shoots spores over your house siding. Cedar mulch contains a chemical called thujaplicin that inhibits bacteria and fungus growth. Current research shows that mushroom compost suppresses the shooting spores. Pennsylvania State University researchers recommend using a mulch mix of 40 percent compost and 60 percent bark (not wood) if you are concerned about an artillery assault. In any event, when sprucing up your garden, if you do nothing else, apply fresh mulch.

 

St. John's wort Hypericum perforatum; Knockout rose being destroyed by Japanese beetles, Hermerocallis 'Anita Davis'; Coreopsis 'Redshift'; Coleus; Yarrow Achillea millefolium
  

6. Accessorize

 

I have never hosted a wedding in my garden, but if you do this, a structure such as a gazebo, arbor, or fountain is a great investment. Less expensive accessories include a colorful outdoor rug to cover a boring or damaged patio or deck. Improve the look of your outdoor rooms with throw pillows or a centerpiece. Set the mood with string lights, tiki torches, solar landscape lights, or citronella candles. I love to hang mirrors in my gardens to add space and depth. You can find low cost ones in thrift stores and flea markets. If you like music in the garden, set up a mini outdoor sound system with a docking station for your smartphone.

 

You don’t have to do all the work yourself – give the whole family trowels or brushes and get them outside. By adopting some quick fixes and working together your event will be one of the most enjoyable of the year. 

 

Beautiful gift from the Hazelton Garden Club who toured my garden last week.
 

My garden peaks in July when the cottage garden plants bloom. I illustrated this posting with some of the flowers I captured yesterday. Many are not perfect as heavy downpours of rain occur every day and create havoc. The storms are caused by daily temperatures in the 90s and very high humidity. I know the weather is brutal around the world this year. My prayers go out to those suffering devastation in Germany and nearby countries. Surely this must be a wake-up call that a plan for dealing with climate change is vital.

 

I hope you are staying safe, dear gardening friends. Enjoy the dog days of summer -- it's going fast.


Love,

Pamela x

 

 

Canna blooming in the pond


I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 

I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

16 comments:

  1. We had a hot berg wind today, but since that has dropped we are back to chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed to research 'berg' wind. I learned that it is a hot, dry wind from the mountains that you get in winter in South Africa. The warmth must be welcome after the chill.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures from your garden and very useful and practical suggestions for preparing the garden for visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good, practical suggestions, and your flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you ARE busy! I rarely host folks for events in my garden because of the mosquitoes. But when folks come to visit, they get a little tour. Your advice is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the mosquitoes. It gets buggy here in August so I try to do my tours before then.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks beautiful Pam and you have some good tips here. I am in the process of cleaning up the foliage on the daylilies so that they look better and not so messy. You gave me a thought about the bird bath. I look at it closely every so often and need to clean it out big time! I have had garden tours here in the past and now I am thinking about the darn bird bath-I must have cleaned it beforehand! I also remember during a garden tour, seeing a weed that had popped up and secretly leaving down to pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now we need to clean out the bird baths and leave them empty because of the mysterious deaths of birds. Very worrisome.

      Delete
  6. Lots of great tips there. Your photos are wonderful, so many gorgeous plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garden tour was fabulous and the members were in awe seeing all the areas to enjoy. We will be anxious to see the meadow garden which is another great idea to compliment the property. The candle basket looks so pretty there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed the tour! I am loving my candle basket!

      Delete
  8. Karl and I had such a lovely time visiting with you and Dwayne. And thank you so much for giving me a personalized your of your fabulous gardens! It was the perfect medicine after the deluge of rain and flooding at home the previous day! It also inspired me to dig in and remedy my sediment filled dry stream bed and not quite efficient shady rain garden! I'll see share some photos when it looks less like a construction zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both enjoyed your visit enormously. It was my pleasure to show you my gardens. Thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

      Delete