Friday, November 29, 2019

A Gardener's Gratitude List


The Bluebird of Happiness Visiting my Garden

My article, 'A Gardener's Gratitude List,' was published in the Pocono Record newspaper and in the Penn State Extension newsletter for the Thanksgiving celebration that we enjoyed this week. I can't say often enough how thankful I am for my garden. Here are just six reasons why:

1. The Beauty of the Seasons
I am thankful for year-round color, beginning with spring flowers then summer-blooming perennials. Of course, there is nothing more beautiful than autumn in the Poconos.

Early June in my Cottage Garden

2. Thank a Plant
Plants are important to almost every aspect of our life including breathing and eating. My kitchen garden gives so much; I know my produce is free from chemicals. Fresh vegetable are 50% higher in nutrients than those that travel many miles to the supermarket. 

Bounty from my Kitchen Garden

3. Butterflies, Bees, and Hummingbirds
Besides being grateful for their beauty, I am thankful for the work of pollinators. Furthermore, I am thankful for beneficial insects that protect our vegetables from insect bullies.

Ruby-throated hummingbird on fuschia
Monarch butterfly on milkweed

4. Connecting with Friends and Neighbors
Like most of you, dear gardening friends, I need others who are willing to listen to my tales of garden successes and failures. I am blessed with friends who are prepared to dig beside me when I need help.


Gardeners from the local Women's Club gave my gardens a final grooming before an important event this summer

 5. Health and Exercise
Gardening burns calories, reduces stress, and improves your overall physical and mental well-being. Gardening allows the brain to relax and releases the the tension caused by our addiction to technology.

Gardening is good for your health.

6. Gardens Everywhere
I am thankful for public garden spaces that I visit for new ideas. The Philadelphia area, withing reach of the Poconos, has some of the best botanical gardens in the country.


Chanticleer -- my favorite public garden

These are just six reasons for being thankful. I can think of more, such as how gardening evokes memories, slows me down, and puts worries in perspective. You can read the full article HERE.

What are you thankful for today?
Pamela x




I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

10 comments:

  1. All excellent reasons for a gardener's gratitude. I share them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm saying the obvious, but it's good to think about these things -- and what better time than at Thanksgiving?

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. There is indeed much to be grateful for as a gardener. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photos I picked, Jo. You are right! The list goes on and on ...

      Delete
  3. and, grateful to have a garden of my own. A My Space to wander at peace in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful garden photo's Pam, there is always something to be grateful for in the garden and every day life. Thank You for such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post for so many reasons! I do want to get to Chanticleer someday. It would be nifty if the Garden Bloggers Fling could be in Philadelphia at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philadelphia is truly the garden capital of the world. Would be a wonderful place for the Fling.

      Delete
  6. Your words, photography and post are beautiful Pam and all so meaningful. I am also proud to say, "I am a gardener!"

    ReplyDelete