Saturday, March 9, 2019

March is Flower Show Season


I welcomed flower show season with more enthusiasm than ever this year as my garden was under a blanket of snow and no signs of spring. How I needed the sight of daffodils and the scent of hyacinths. We spent time at the Philadelphia Flower Show, then we visited the Lehigh Valley Flower and Garden Show. I was not disappointed -- spring was there in abundance at both events. The Philadelphia Flower Show, the nation's largest and longest running, had a 1960's vibe with the theme of "Flower Power." As we walked into the show we were greeted by towering vine sculptures covered with flowers, plants, and stylized butterflies. Over it all, a hanging meadow comprised of colorful wildflowers was suspended from above. Nearly 8,000 flowers of more than 85 varieties adorned the entrance garden. The theme was the most fun I've experienced at the Philadelphia Flower Show. Periodically, the lights would dim, colorful strobe lights would swirl around, and sixties music would blare out. Visitors began to dance and sing along with icons like Donovan and his signature Mellow Yellow.

One of several Pop-Art inspired sculptures adorned with, and surrounded by, beautiful blooms.
There were beautiful floral creations around the base of each sculpture. Some were planted in color blocks like these lovely white blooms.
I noticed the Pop Art influence with the Ben-Day dots behind these stunning peonies. I love the clematis too.
The entrance displays incorporated an abundant variety of flowers. The alliums made me long for mine to be in bloom.
Left: Flowers atop columns and Ben-Day dotted 'leaves'.             Right: Stylized butterfly in the floating meadow.

A favorite display was the tribute to Woodstock; this year is its 50th anniversary. Those visitor who were around at the time of Woodstock remembered the mud; the designers of the display incorporated a path of mud through the center. Original photos of the event were displayed on the back of a barn.

A tribute to Woodstock. Note the mud in the top left picture.

Around the entrance garden were pods -- small stages -- where competitors for the FTD World Cup 2019 created their displays. It was a thrill to witness one of the world's most prestigious floral design competitions. Floral designers representing over 20 countries worked on their creations in full view of the Show attendees. Here are just three of them:

Left: Germany's display.  Top right: Hungary. Bottom right: USA

There was much more to see. My favorite water feature was in a display by Stoney Bank Nurseries. I loved their theme of 'Unplug and Play.' They suggested we 'unplug from the world wide web and connect with the great wide world.'

Unplug and Play -- such a beautiful garden to play in.

My second favorite water feature was by Delaware Valley Water Garden Society:

The title of this feature was 'A Feast For Your Senses.'

A few more highlights for me ...

Love that purple pitcher plant. Native plants were well represented in the Show.

Daffodils and tulips gave me my 'Spring Fix,'


Teapots on a balcony

Two of my teapots at home ...


Grape hyacinth (Muscari 'Blue Magic') and Daffodil (Narcissus 'Tete-a-tete').

I purchased the grape hyacinth and the daffodil at the Lehigh Valley Flower and Garden Show. 

Catkins and Witch Hazel provided more tastes of spring at the LV Flower Show
Snowdrops for sale at the Show


The Lehigh Valley Show is small but quite special. My favorite part this year was the 'She Shed' display. A local dealer donated a variety of sheds of all sizes; designers were invited to decorate them. There was a sewing room and a room with a bird theme. Some were furnished quite luxuriously.

I would have loved any one of the 'she sheds' in my garden.


I've shown you just a small portion of all we saw at the two events. They were welcome breaks from this nasty winter. Did you attend a flower show yet this year?

Pamela x




I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

9 comments:

  1. I always find flower shows so inspirational but what fun having a Flower Power theme at the Philadelphia Flower Show, and how I'd love one of those she sheds from the Lehigh Valley Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those displays are amazing. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these photos Pam. You must have been in your glory! I especially love the first one of the truck with "flower power"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fascinating to watch floral artists at work - more interesting than the static finished display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, thank you so much for sharing! I remember when Woodstock happened (telling my age) and remember seeing the pictures on TV. It was a horrible, muddy mess and it seems everyone left their junk behind. Those are the images which I always remember when someone mentions it.

    Walking through the flower show was something I needed this morning. The rain has returned and it is once again dull and dreary. Seeing the lovely flowers, knowing spring will really arrive someday, has made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I saw something on FB that you had visited and I was hoping the post would show up soon. But I didn't know you had fit in two flower shows!
    What a perfect time to go, it's been so cold and all those flowers are the perfect antidote. I'm not usually a flower show person, but this year really looks like one that everyone could enjoy. I love the dimming music and lights idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to the Philadelphia flower show is on my bucket list - one of these years! It looks awesome and I really love the idea of the music blaring and everyone breaking out in dance! And yes - Canada Blooms was just this past weekend and all the green (and every other colour of the rainbow) was a welcome sight after this very icy winter. Now I'm looking forward to the big melt tomorrow - hopefully our "skating rink" will turn back into a driveway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard such wonderful things about the Philadelphia Flower Show! I'd love to go sometime. All the gardens and flower arrangements look amazing. I'll be going to the Boston Flower Show tomorrow. It's usually a fairly small one, but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful and much-needed shot of spring, Pam -- thanks for sharing your flower show experiences! No spring here yet either, so it's nice to see a preview. Wishing you warm days this month! Best, -Beth

    ReplyDelete