Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Bloom Day Flowers --Three Days Late


I spent the weekend working in my gardens for the first time in weeks. The weather was perfect: sunny and not too hot for me. I weeded, removed dead stuff, pulled weeds, planted bulbs, weeded, divided perennials, pulled weeds, deadheaded, and did I mention weeds? I finished cleaning up the cottage garden yesterday morning; the guys mowed before the rain from the aftermath of hurricane Florence. I loved the feeling of accomplishment that ensued as I looked around my 'tidied' gardens. The rain rolled in before I could take pictures. Fortunately, I had photographed flowering plants on Saturday because that day was Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day (GBBD.)  Occurring on the 15th of each month, GBBD, hosted by the lovely Carol of May Dreams Gardens, is when gardeners from around the world showcase what is blooming in their gardens. I'm sorry that I didn't have time to finish my Bloom Day post until today -- better late than never, right?

The Serenity Garden, like my other gardens, is 'in the pink': I have more pink blooms than fall-colored ones although the first day of autumn is rapidly approaching.

Pink turtle head Chelone 'Hot lips', pink sedum 'Autum Joy' and reblooming 'Golden Mound' spirea
Serenity Garden  with hot-pink Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
Blooming 'Golden Mound' Spirea surrounds the serene statue, Allegrain's 'Bather'
Pink hydrangea and purple callibrachoa

I like pink (this is why I planted so many pink plants) but my favorite color has to be blue. I love September when the blue mist shrub is blooming in the cottage garden.

Blue mist shrub Caryopteris is a bee magnet in the Cottage Garden

Also in the cottage garden's large herbaceous bed:

Top: Cleome. Bottom: Perennial geranium and Canna 'Striata'
Sweet autumn clematis makes a pretty backdrop to cottage-garden flowers.

The fence around the kitchen garden is adorned with a blooming rose and nasturtiums peeping through from the other side.

Nasturtium 'Enana Rosa Cereza' and Rosa 'Peace'

In Abundance garden, Joe Pye continues to put on a show. There are lots of buds and a few flowers on New England asters.

New England aster Symphyotrichum novae-angliae and Eupatorium dubium Joe Pye Weed 'Baby Joe.'
Click on the picture to enlarge and see two monarchs on zinnias in the cutting garden

The cutting garden is inside the kitchen garden where I picked the last zucchini; should I sautee it or make zucchini bread? We are still harvesting pole beans, Swiss chard, red beets, and carrots. The parsnips look ready, but I always wait until after they have been touched by frost for the best flavor.

Zucchini Calabacin 'Fordhook'

Stunning coleus in the stone garden adds beautiful warm color. I usually start plants early, indoors, from seed.

Coleus sp.
The Stone Garden is my container garden.

Another annual that is serving me well this year is the fuschia on the back porch. We removed the hummingbird feeder from this spot, because it attracted black bears. The fuschia proved to be a wonderful substitute, drawing hummingbirds every day. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the hummers -- they don't hang around long enough.

Fuschia sp.
The native plant white snakeroot Agetina altissima blooming next to the outhouse.

Finally, a sign of fall ...

Weeping Japanese maple leaves are beginning to take on their autumn hue

What signs of the season's change are you seeing in your part of the world?

I hope you had a happy GBBD in your garden, as I did.
Pamela

Zinnia and cosmos
I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

16 comments:

  1. It's never too late! Beautiful garden pictures and that autumn clematis is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy. Some don't like sweet autumn clematis because of its aggressive tendencies. I've never had a problem with it. I cut it down to the ground at the end of the season and it stays in that one spot.

      Delete
  2. It looks like your garden has enjoyed all the rain you've had, it's looking so lush. The clematis is a beauty. Hope Dude is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude has got a new twinkle in his eye with the introduction of Doodles the baby goat.

      Delete
  3. I love your autumn clematis, it look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your statuaries and garden props are really lovely, Pam. And that autumn-blooming clematis is really special! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. It is easy to overdo the garden props, isn't it? I try to cut down on the clutter of too much garden 'art.'

      Delete
  5. I am glad you are enjoying your garden after all the rain Pam and I was wondering where you were! I look forward to my visits each month and your garden is always so beautiful and inviting. I especially love the Autumn Clematis blooming for September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. I'm just popping over to see your beautiful September garden.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure your hummers prefer fuchsia nectar.
    Good news about your little Dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the hummer preferences. Little Dude is very, very sick and we know he wont recover. But he's a fighter.

      Delete
  7. Although I like to complain about the end of summer, these cooler, less humid days have been an excellent change. I did a little weeding as well, but most importantly got a few new snowdrops in the ground. Maybe the cold will kill the weeds, so no sense in devoting too much time to that never ending task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted Fritillaria bulbs. Made me feel good. I'm done with weeding for this season!

      Delete
  8. Colour is still popping in your garden Pam, especially the Coleus. I have just finished emptying tubs and baskets, I will get going with planting the Spring bulbs tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our first hard frost last night and it zapped EVERYTHING. Let the clean-up begin ...

      Delete