Friday, June 15, 2018

June 2018 Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day: June is Bustin' Out All Over



 June is Bustin' Out All Over

March went out like a lion
A Whippin' up the water in the bay
Then April cried and stepped aside
And along come pretty little May.
May was full of promises
But she didn't keep them quickly enough for some
And a crowd of doubtin' Thomases
Was predicting that summer'd never come.

But it's coming by gum ...

Richard Rogers
Carousel

With summer less than a week away, my gardens are 'bustin' out all over.' I grabbed my camera and headed out early on this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day to record some of the beauty.

The window boxes along the tractor shed are beginning to fill out.

Roses and clematis have replaced the peonies and alliums of early June. The rose blooms, however, are more sparse than usual due to the very harsh winter that led me to cut most of them back to the ground. The bright purple alliums, now a more delicate mauve color, are forming their seedheads.

Left: Allium 'Globemaster' today. Right: Peonies and allium on June 1.
Climbing rose, Blaze Improved, and clematis. Beyond them are fading peonies.
David Austin rose (Rosa 'Olivia') blooming behind Edward, the new horse sculpture

The Cottage Garden is flaunting some blue/purple perennial geranium flowers, golden potentilla blooms, and pretty pink spikes of Veronica. In the shade, my astilbe is opening its white plumes.

Perennial geranium 'Roxanne'
Top: Potentilla.  Bottom left: Astilbe sp. Right: Veronica sp.

A wonderful spot to enjoy all this beauty is the new bench next to the pond. There are some pretty blooms there, but none more lovely than the velvety, purple water iris.


Froggy Pond
Water iris

Two of my favorite cottage garden plants, hollyhocks and delphiniums, are bustin' out. One of the delphiniums has it's first blue flowers opening. Believe it or not, that little cutie is a Pacific Giant. Oops, I guess it didn't read the label.

 Pacific Giant Delphinium with hollyhocks behind it.

The catmint, always reliable, made an early appearance in it's full-sun area. The spirea
 is blooming in the Serenity Garden even without full sun.


Catmint (Nepata 'Walkers' Low')
Spirea 'Golden Mound' with it's pretty pink flowers.

 I planted ladies' mantle in several spots. It's lacy, yellow blooms lighten shady areas.


For years I thought the groundcover with variegated leaves was the invasive goutweed and couldn't understand why it wasn't aggressive in my garden. I now know it is variegated masterwort, a much better alternative. It is blooming for the first time.

Variegated masterwort (Peucedanum ostruthium 'Daphnis') in a foundation bed
Peucedanum's bloom is like Queen Anne's Lace

Not just blooms, here is some of the striking foliage in my garden today:

From the top: threadleaf maple, sea holly, hostas, smokebush, brunnera, Japanese painted fern, and brunnera.

I knew this was a special day when I captured a picture of the pileated woodpecker. We hear him often, but he is too shy to hang around for a photograph. Today, he was so busy, he didn't spot me right away. He was really making the bark fly, wasn't he? -- you can see it falling.



I am joining with Carol at May Dreams Gardens for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Thank you Carol for your wonderful meme. 

Happy Gardening my friends,

Pamela x


I enjoy my potting-shed library.

I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

18 comments:

  1. Your garden is breathtakingly beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers! Great Woodpecker photo!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great photo of the woodpecker. Your garden is looking wonderful, it's a lovely time of year with lush greenery and lots of plants blooming away. Wow, the water iris is a beauty, the petals look so soft and almost velvety, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yard is so pretty and I love all your plants. I don't have that much, but what I have is going crazy. I will be posting soon on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, I always enjoy the virtual tours of your gardens. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The iris is breathtaking, what a color! Your garden is gorgeous, always in wonderful tour-ready condition. Always a pleasure to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you make time to sit on the new bench and enjoy your garden's beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I always enjoy my visit to your beautiful gardens which are filled with colorful blooms and perfectly placed decor. The photos make me want to stop and stay for a while, even if virtually. I can see the amount of enjoyment they bring to your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture of the woodpecker. He was definitely working hard! We have one that has decided to give a few pecks to the metal siding on the house in the morning right as the sun rises. He seems to quickly realize there are no bugs and flies away but who can go back to sleep after hearing that racket? It does not make us happy.

    Jeannie@GetMetoTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely collection of plants and what wonderful foliage as well. Love your statues, once my garden is full of plants I hope to be placing one or two around the garden, they add another bit of interest to a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely collection of plants and what wonderful foliage as well. Love your statues, once my garden is full of plants I hope to be placing one or two around the garden, they add another bit of interest to a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes you have a lot of blooms going on there! But i love most spectacularly is that color of the iris, i actually haven't seen that. Maybe it is not growing here in the hot tropics. We only have the yellow and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is looking amazing! You've intrigued me with the masterwort - I'll be looking into that one for my shadier front garden beds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're killing me with all your blooms...ha ha. You must feel so happy when you walk outside into your magical gardens. Masterwort is a nice backdrop and not invasive, woo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the same issue with my roses, I didn’t think I’d see many flowers at all. They were late, and pretty sparse, but it hasn’t stopped the Japanese beetles from attacking. Grrrrr. Such lovely June blooms Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Que lindas flores e que lindo jardim. Tenha um feliz dia.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Moving on to see the news.
    Very beautiful.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete