Friday, March 16, 2018

Flower Show Season


March is the month for flower shows. I enjoyed two, starting with the acclaimed 'biggest and best' in Philadelphia. As usual, winter didn't pause its brutal attack, and this year there were two nor'easters, Winter Storm Riley barrelled in as the show was about to start; Quinn arrived on the days for which I'd made hotel reservations and booked an early morning tour. Fortunately, I was able to reschedule both; I'm so happy it worked out. My only disappointment was that some of the plants were beginning to fade. I prefer to go earlier in the week when the flowers are very fresh, but the snowstorms caused my change of plans. The theme was 'Wonders of Water' celebrating the interplay between life-sustaining water and horticulture. Entering the show, instead of the usual entrance way or archway, we walked through a tropical rainforest, with its canopy of lush plants, following a winding path toward a 25-foot waterfall. All around were the sounds of the rainforest, plus the sights and scents of nearly 4,000 tropical plants, including orchids, heliconias, and anthuriums. It was impossible for me, with my insufficient photography skills, to capture the effect of the ever-shifting rain curtain and the misting pool. The beauty and wonder of the rainforest entrance garden highlighted the significance of the rainforest's vital role in purifying water and sustaining our environment.

Lucite tubes depicting rain submerge visitors in a watery world

The education aspect of the event focused upon the importance of clean water in out lives and innovative ways to protect and conserve our finite water sources. One exhibit showed how plant systems cleanse and sustain the Delaware River Watershed through mountains, fields, marshes and streams. Plants are the heroes, providing riparian buffers on the edges of rivers and waterways.

Horsetail, or scouring, rushes cleanse the water at the edges of the river.

In contrast, Waldor Orchids took you under the sea with their clever display of orchids depicting a coral reef.

A coral reef of orchids
 Laelia Santa Barbara Sunset 'Showtime'

I am always amazed at the quality and quantity of plants submitted for display and for competition. A few of my favorites this year:

Top: Dendrobium speciosum. Right: new rock garden iris. Left: Fothergilla
10,000 tulip bulbs made up this colorful display

I adored the interiorscape called 'A Botanist's Fantastical Library' submitted by the Wissahicken Garden Club. This competition entry brought together a love of plants and of books. A wall of falling water to the left of the bookcase, large staghorn ferns on the adjacent wall, orchids and other beautiful plants in the room, and each book with dried flowers on its spine, made this my favorite display of the show. Maybe, being a librarian (in another life) caused my prejudice, but books and plants in elegant surroundings, what more could a gardener want?

A Botanist's Fantastical Library

On an early morning tour, I was privileged to listen to several designers explaining their gardens. I was struck by 'Verdant Delight' by Irwin Landscaping. Water fell from one pool to the next (over straight edges to create sound) in this unusual garden space. The plant material defined the seasonal use of the garden.


After two days at the Philadelphia Flower Show, we returned home, took one day's rest, then visited the  Lehigh Valley Flower and Garden Show. There we found a more traditional garden pond and waterfall.

Waterfall in a koi fishpond

At both shows we observed vertical gardens and living walls -- definitely a trend now. The living wall at the Lehigh Valley Show was especially stunning. Beautiful plants grew on the outside wall of a potting shed which was heated by a solar panel.

Left: Vertical garden at the Phili show. Right: Living wall at the Allentown Show.

The Lehigh Valley show is very small, but worth a visit. The many early blooming flowers for sale gave me a welcome taste of spring. I bought a miniature daffodil and two primroses and took spring home.

I purchased the primrose on the left

More favorites of mine:

Cyclamen (in great container), pitcher plant, and staghorn fern in moss on a rustic board. 

The theme this year was 'Fields, Farms, and Backyards' which explained the presence of some cute animals.


The flower and garden shows that proliferate this time of year herald spring and the beginning of the garden season. Unfortunately, the weather does not agree with more snow on the way...

Have you been to, or are you planning to attend, a good flower show this year? I hope so.

Love,
Pamela x

Begonia with cockleshell-shaped leaves

I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

19 comments:

  1. They look like wonderful shows with plenty to see. I love water in gardens, it has such a calming and peaceful effect, so I would have enjoyed the theme of the first show, though I must say, having a bit of a thing about pigs, I think the piglet stole the show. We're forecast snow overnight again with more due to fall throughout the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that you have a thing for pigs, Jo. He was very cute, but goats are my preference, and this one was adorable.Can't believe you are having so much snow in England.

      Delete
  2. Pam-You are so fortunate to have attended the Philadelphia Flower Show and I am glad the weather didn't hold you back for good. The rainforest/water effect is amazing and would have captivated me right there! Thanks for sharing both shows and a bit of spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must get to the Philadelphia Flower Show one year, Lee. You would love it.

      Delete
  3. Not tempted to bring the cyclamen lady home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tempted but she was priced a little too high. Of course I’m regretting not splurging.

      Delete
  4. Books, waterfalls, and amazing plants...who could ask for more? ;-) Yes, I presented at/attended the Wisconsin Garden Expo in February. Garden shows are so therapeutic when the winter drags on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Braving the elements, you are the hardiest of annuals Pam. Looks like the visit was more than worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could say, Alistair, that I am obsessed with all things 'garden.'

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tour. I used to go to get ideas but all 4 seasons in bloom at once for many displays didn't do the trick. Think this March weather is making me cranky ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Pat. And at this moment we are experiencing our fourth nor'easter in three weeks. Enough already!

      Delete
  7. How lovely. Thank you for sharing these shows with those of us who don't have a chance to visit them. And thank you, too, for the sweet animal pictures at the end. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals and flowers -- what more can we ask for Dorothy?

      Delete
  8. just thankfully found your blog. Almost went to the Philadelphia. garden show as my daughter is in school there, but not the march for travel..still!!! where did you order your delphiniums from? thank you. cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my blog, Cheryl. I ordered the delphiniums from White Flower Farm. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I do love a good garden show -- your photos are wonderful - I feel like I was there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven’t attended ours in a few years, it was starting to disappoint me. All the others I see on Garden blogs look so much more fabulous than ours. Perhaps I had best give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of good inspiration there. I bet you're itching to get outside and garden. Love ya!~~Dee

    ReplyDelete