Saturday, July 15, 2017

Fabulous Flowers and a Purer Pond for July GBBD


At last, I can see the fish in Froggy Pond thanks to Scott from Sugar Hollow Farms. He vacuumed the sludge from the bottom, installed a skimmer, and performed some magic. Over the years, our pond proved to be a money-pit due to some bad decisions we made earlier on, but the expense and work seem worthwhile as I enjoy its relaxing beauty today.


I stole the name, Froggy Pond, from my blogger friend Diana in South Africa; she used the name first. Click here to see her environmentally friendly water feature. She graciously said I could use the name, so I guess I didn't really steal it. Our Froggy Pond has lots of real frogs as well as fake ones.


The pond was ready in time for the BIG EVENT last week when the local television channel arrived to shoot a piece for their program, 'Talk of the Town.' It was fun but exhausting -- 4 1/2 hours to make a ten minute segment. They filmed the gardens while I told their story. I demonstrated square-foot gardening and how to extend the gardening season with cool-season plants. I showed how to use row covers and a coldframe. (Yes, I was able to show off my new one!) Under my direction the hosts of the show, Marie and Kim, planted cabbages and such. The program will air in August.

Preparing for the TV shoot and for an upcoming 'Open Garden' event (tomorrow) was a great deal of work. We mulched with the fine cedar mulch that we discussed in my last posting; I am pleased with the result. The cottage garden is 'peaking' and showing off an incredible array of blooms for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day that occurs on the 15th of every month -- thanks to our lovely hostess Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Carol gardens in Indiana but we grow several similar plants -- visit her blog to check them out.  Let's take a walk around my gardens:

The hydrangea bed - front and right of Dude and Billy's paddock.
I have two types of hydrangea: mopheads and paniculata:

Left and top right: mophead Hydrangea macrophylla. Bottom right: Hydrangea paniculata
Hydrangea Hydrangea paniculata Pinky Winky® and Morning Glory vine

Several of the hostas in Serenity Garden are in bloom including the miniature hostas in the fairy garden.

Serenity Garden
One of the Fairy Gardens with miniature hostas

Due to the frequent, heavy rains this summer, my roses are very poor with black spot on the leaves and mushy blooms. The clematis fared even worse. Has anyone else had this experience?

Top: Pink Knockout rose. Bottom: perennial geranium.





      





A very dark red (maroon?) hollyhock appeared this year. I think I planted a double one of that color last summer. It is beautiful but not as I remember it. Hollyhocks are a classic cottage garden flower.
Hollyhock Alcea rosea
Mombretia Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

I love the combination of colors in the Horseshoe Garden right now: peachy daylilies, golden brown-eyed Susans, and pink veronica.


Left to right :Brown-eyed Susan Rudbeckia triloba; Veronica longifolia; Daylily Hemerocallis

H.H. painted the bicycle on the kitchen garden fence a classy, dark purple. When dressed up with petunias it looks quite fetching.



 The Kitchen Garden is blooming:

Bottom left: Zinnia Zowie™ Bottom right: blooms on cucumber plants.

And with all my blooms the garden is buzzing with bees and fluttering with butterflies. I'm welcoming back the monarchs and glad I planted so much milkweed.

Left: Agastache .Top right: monarch on milkweed. Bottom right: fritillaria on purple coneflower.

Finally, in the garden room I have a beautiful new bromeliad, given to me by a dear friend who visited me and my garden recently.


 

Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day everyone,

Pamela x


Pollinator Garden

I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my!
    What a bloom day you're having, the garden looks great. I hope the open day goes well and you get a chance to enjoy yourself. I hope you can find a link for when your segment airs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your TV event. How exciting! I see that we have a few plants in common - things like crocosmia 'Lucifer', purple coneflowers, and rudbeckia. Your garden is looking especially lovely this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, that pond is really beautiful and the garden is a dream! the Plant Combinations are just perfect,especially in the serenity Garden so green, lush and immaculately manicured. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pond is awesome ! You always have so many pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam
    Lovely pictures as always. Love the purple bike! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. This all looks so beautiful and inviting! Happy Bloom Day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a real life television star, fame at last, eh? I wish I could see the segment you filmed, perhaps it will make its way on to You Tube so I can get to see it. Your garden is looking fabulous, and your pond too. They do take some work to keep them looking good, but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot even imagine how many hours a week your gardens need to remain so beautiful.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Pam, how I love to visit your gardens. Your Froggy Pond is delightful and the table and two chairs in the Serenity Garden are just calling for visitors to come sit, relax and enjoy the view. Also, congratulations on your TV event! I can't wait to see in air in August. Do keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love English Gardens and would love to have one someday. Sigh. I want everything "someday". Your garden is perfect.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Froggy Pond! It looks so inviting. I wish we had frogs in our garden (besides when we first moved into our house and the pool fliter was broken). I love the sounds they make. They just sound like summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (Fighting with Feedly which has swiped away the blog posts I was catching up on. Working thru the old list for the posts I KNOW I haven't read yet and so glad to find yours)

    My Froggy Pond is tongue in cheek as there is a children's holiday resort with that name just along the coast.

    Congratulations on the TV - I too hope you will be able to give us a link to watch later.

    ReplyDelete