Saturday, April 15, 2017

April Daffodils for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day


If late March is for crocuses and hellebores in this little corner of the world, then April is all about daffodils. Sunny yellow and white blooms greet you along the Daffodil Walk leading to the front door.  I bought a box of unmarked, mixed daffodil bulbs so I don't know the name of any of them. I love them all. I planted more daffodils behind the picket fence in Serenity, and several in the garden I call Abundance. Their sunny faces are a wonderful sign that spring has arrived.
I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden.
-- Ruth Stout

The Daffodil Walk
Daffodil Narcissus
Daffodils in the garden I call Abundance
More daffodils in Serenity

Peeping through the picket fence in the kitchen garden I believe I can see the first bloom on the double daffodil, 'Tahiti', my favorite.
 
Lungwort Pulmonaria and various Daffodil Narcissus

Today  is Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, celebrated by gardeners all around the world on the 15th of each month. I am sure there are lots of daffodils and other spring flowers displayed on blog postings this day. You can visit our hostess, Carol, at May Dreams Gardens to see.  Let's take a walk to find what other plants are blooming in my garden.
 
Lungwort Pulmonaria
Creeping Phlox Phlox subulata

Primroses are blossoming in the cottage garden. Creamy, yellow primroses remind me of England almost more than any other flower.

Her fairies climb the bare, brown trees,
And set green caps on every stalk;
Her primroses peep bashfully
From borders of the garden walk.

-- Hannah R. Hudson "April" The Atlantic Monthly, 1868 
  
Primrose Primula vulgaris

Primrose Primula vulgaris and Grape hyacinth Muscari armeniacum

I must take time to cut some branches of forsythia and add them to my vase of pussy willows on the dining table.

Forsythia Forsythia x intermedia on the bank of Bluebell Creek

Forsythia Forsythia x intermedia peeps over the stockade fence in Serenity

The dwarf trees around the pond are budding or blooming. We plan to open up the pond next week. Frogs are already going in and out of the water where I folded back the netting. 

Snow fountain cherry Prunus x 'Snofozam'

New candles appearing on Weeping spruce Picea abies 'Pendula'

April is a promise that May is bound to keep.
-- Hal Borland

Dwarf weeping redbud Cercis canadensis 'Lavender Twist'

I see vinca has appeared in several flower beds. I dislike the job of pulling it out, but it is a necessary task as I try to keep it under control. My mother-in-law planted it. She called it periwinkle and loved its sweet blue flowers. In her honor, I will never totally remove it, although it is so invasive.

Vinca Vinca minor, Peony Paeonia shoots, and Bearded iris


Of course, there are hellebores still. Their pretty, nodding blooms beautify the woodland walk.
Hellebore Helleborus


What is blooming in your garden today? I'm off to May Dreams Gardens blog; maybe I'll see you there. Happy Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

Pamela x


Forsythia


I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
 I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

24 comments:

  1. My daffodils are long gone, but I do still have a few primroses. All of yours are just gorgeous! Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many lovely blooms! Andd, you're a bit ahead of us. It's such an exciting time of year....I go out everyday to see what is breaking ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our daffodils are mostly over now. Your look great. We are in tulip peak at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardens are beautiful. I enjoy seeing them. Can't have that at my condo. Sadly

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have quite a bit blooming now. I spied a clump of Elijah (?) blue grass in one of your flower beds. What conditions do you grow this to look so good this time of year? I can't make it grow in my garden. I have tried many places without success. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue fescue likes moist soil and full sun. I planted mine in a wet area, but it is well drained. It is lovely, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. It's all so pretty and as you say, holding lots of promise. It's the best time of year, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for featuring your beautiful garden

    ReplyDelete
  8. luscious yellow daffodils - perfect flowers as I wish you a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so many daffodils! I love them all, and thank you for sharing them. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember you planting the Daffodil Walk and it's turned out beautifully, such a wonderful welcome to anyone approaching your door. The daffodils are on their last legs here now but the tulips are ready to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela, it's all so pretty, and i bet it's starting to smell wonderful. Did you watch Gardener's World episode 5 for this season? Carol gives a whole section on primroses. I think you'll like it so much. Happy Bloom Day. Happy Easter! Hugs from Oklahoma! ~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get Gardener's World, Dee. I think there is a subscription program that I must look into. I miss it so much. Hope your Easter was wonderful!

      Delete
  12. Dear Pamela, I really like your daffodils. They look very nice in front of your beautiful house. I also like your primroses and hellebores. Enjoy gardening! Happy Easter!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Pam, your daffodil walk is so beautiful and inviting, as well as all your other beautiful blooms! Spring is such a wonderful time of the year as the garden comes to life, and it is always a pleasure visiting yours. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love daffodils, and yours are so beautiful! I just planted a bunch of 'Tahiti's' last fall, as I fell in love with it. Love that walkway up to the door! I have white 'Thalia' daffodils leading up to my door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my Tahiti seem to have disappeared -- I was reorganizing that border and I don't know what happened to them. I plan to buy more bulbs this fall.

      Delete
  15. Your daffodil show is spectacular, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful daffodil walk to your door! I grow a range of varieties so that I can enjoy daffodils from January until... well, the last of them are just beginning to open, so if the weather continues as it is, there will have been daffs for about 5 months this year. In my last garden I had some that flowered in December one year. I felt remarkably proud of this at the time, even though it was none of my doing (the next year they reverted to January!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I miss an English springtime, Sarah, when daffodils bloom in January. Ours have a short bloom period starting in March. But it's still my favorite season. P. x

      Delete
  17. I'm so glad to see that your late snow finally melted away, and sunny yellow daffodils are your reward!

    ReplyDelete