Sunday, March 12, 2017

LV Flower and Garden Show

Daffodil, crocus, hellebore with white birch and moss.

This year's theme at the Lehigh Valley Flower and Garden Show was  'Gardens of the World.'  My favorite was 'Lithuania' compiled by Parkland Nurseries. I was immediately drawn to the profusion of white birch in their display. White birch is common to Lithuania and other parts of Europe including my homeland. I felt nostalgic for England and for the tree we recently lost in a Pennsylvanian ice storm. (Click here and scroll to the bottom for pictures.) I loved the plant markers made from rings of white birch, such as the one below naming the glorious fragrant shrub, Korean spice vibernum.

Korean spice vibernum Vibernum carlessii with birch marker

I spoke with landscape architect, Stacey Nash, who told me her mother and other family members came here from Lithuania after the Second World War. Stacey and her team displayed information about the country on posters and on a table. Next to a beautiful doll in national dress, was a pot of rue, the herb of grace, a species native to Lithuania.

Information about Lithuania

Rue Ruta graveolens

After our trip to Lithuania, we walked through gardens of the United  States, Brazil, Switzerland, Canada, United Kingdom, Norway and Holland. Unfortunately, although the company names were very evident, I couldn't always tell which country a display depicted. The United Kingdom was evident by a replica of Stonehenge, and the United States by Mount Rushmore. The UK showed an abundance of red, white and blue flowers, but most striking was an arrangement of pink roses on the patio table.

United Kingdom: Stonehenge and pink roses

A variety of evergreen shrubs and trees made a striking background for the gardens of USA.

United States: Mount Rushmore

The most common flowers in every garden were daffodils, tulips, and crocuses.
 
Daffodils and lovely yellow tulips in an arrangement for Holland
I'm not sure which country is depicted here, but the pond has beautiful plantings around it
A great place to sit and enjoy a cup of tea

We saw several corkscrew hazel, sometimes called contorted filbert or Harry Lauder's walking stick. I must put this interesting plant on my wish list. The one pictured below was in the Holland display.

Corkscrew Hazel Coylus avellana 'Contorta'

Our day at the flower show was the coldest of this winter with sub-freezing temperatures outside. But the spring blossoms and flowers inside Agricultural Hall were heart warming. This is why I love flower shows so much. Just the smell of earth and mulch lifted my spirits.

Cherry (unknown var.); Pieris 'Pink Flamingo'; Grape Hyacinth Muscari Aucheri 'Sky Blue'
Snow fountain Weeping Cherry Prunus 'Snofozam'

Grandson, Jon, wasn't with us this year because he had a rehearsal for a school musical. I took a picture of the trains for him. We missed you, Jon.

The always popular modal railroad

We enjoyed looking around the market area and made several purchases, including some pussy willow branches. When this current cold snap and the upcoming snow storm are passed, I plan to force into bloom some flowering branches of forsythia and mock orange. The pussy willow will keep me happy in the interim.

Our last stop was to say hello to some fellow master gardeners from Northhampton County. I belong to Monroe County so I didn't know any of them, but just love talking 'shop' with like-minded plants people. They had an impressive display with suggestions for children's gardening activities, rain barrel information, soil information, and an array of handouts on every gardening topic. I admired the amount of space they were given and the clever way they used it. They were kept very busy answering questions from community gardeners. Some master gardeners and some professionals gave presentations on one of the two stages.

I should paint a design on our rain barrels
Master gardeners have a wealth of helpful tips.

Now I've had a taste of springtime, I can't wait to go to the Philadelphia Flower Show in a few days. That show started yesterday and I'm seeing enticing photographs on Facebook. It is much, much bigger than this one, and we will spend a couple of days there. Hopefully, the Big Storm will be over and the roads cleared before our planned trip. The LV Flower Show is small, but very special because it features local landscapers and vendors. We spent a lovely few hours there.

If you live in the Northeast, stay warm and safe in the storm arriving Tuesday! Think spring!
Pamela x



Pansies, violets, dianthus and birch logs



9 comments:

  1. Pam....that looks like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted a Harry Lauder's walking stick. Such an interesting plant! Although I'm not entirely sure how well it would like my hot and humid climate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there yesterday. I enjoyed it, but I agree that some of the countries weren't labeled very well. This was the first time I had seen pieris in real life as what they are supposed to look like and I felt bad for the poor sad plants in my front yard. Thinking I will try to treat them well this year and if they make it move them to a more appropriate location at the end of summer.

    I also thought the master gardeners set up was very informative. A lot of interesting info especially since I'm new to the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos of the Lehigh Valley Flower and Garden Show. I enjoyed the theme of gardens from around the world and the spring blooms are so delightful as we await Winter Storm Stella. There may be snow in the forecast, but there are hopes of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun! Love that rain barrel. I love seeing a flower show in winter, as it is so nice to get a day of spring and flowers. I hope to go to the Boston Flower Show in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wonderful show and staged at such a lovely time of year to capture all those pretty daffodils. I think a corkscrew hazel would look great in your garden, they're such interesting plants and a good one to add winter interest too when the distorted branches can be seen. I wish I had room for one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen so many Home and Garden show posts from across the country, and it sure makes me wish I had bothered to go to ours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. silver birch name tags are a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete