Sunday, September 25, 2016

Inviting Places to Sit in the Garden


In my gardens I don't have an alluring stone chair like the one seen here at Chanticleer, but I've added enticing and somewhat more practical seating in specific areas. Every morning I'm drawn to the bench by the pond, grabbing some pillows from the chairs on the deck to make it more comfortable. There's something about the sound of a waterfall that soothes and sets the tone for a calm day. With my latest bout of gastritis, I forego coffee and sip a cup of camomile tea adding to the tranquility.

Springtime by the pond when the roses and peonies bloom.
Early morning birdsong, sounds of water, and the breeze in the zebra grass.

The swing in Serenity, the shade garden, provides another peaceful spot. The calycanthus at its corner adds to the feeling of privacy. A great place to read a book or sit with a friend and chat.


Many years ago, pre cottage garden, we attended Rutgers Day in New Brunswick when my daughter was in college there. In addition to the festivities there were all sorts of vendors. We found some handmade Adirondack chairs, a small table and footrests. I don't remember how we got them home -- I think we paid the vendor to deliver them. For some time they've resided in the Woodland Walk. From bare wood, to green and lately painted purple by H.H. (I don't know why purple) they are looking decidedly worn, the footrests long gone. But we enjoy them still. The Woodland Walk is the place to sit on a very hot day, where the temperature is ten degrees lower than in the cottage garden.

The Adirondacks when H.H. first painted them purple.
I kinda like the distressed look of the paint now.

The Stone Garden has a stone bench under the lilacs. The resting fairy at the end of the bench is happy to share the space.


The patio has traditional patio seating for eating outdoors. Fencing and tall plants provide privacy.


The rocking chair in my potting shed is a favorite spot. This antique chair was handed down to H.H. by his mother who received it from a cousin (who was also her teacher.)  Purdy was the name of the original owner, so the family calls it Purdy's chair.

Purdy's chair in the potting shed.
A 90-year-old visitor (not as old as the chair) rests for a moment.

Outside the potting shed in the kitchen garden, a retro metal chair puts you among zinnias, milkweed and butterflies.


While originally English cottage garden style was considered 'rustic,' I can't resist adding some elegance with the occasional Greek statue and Victorian style seating. The table and chairs in Serenity Garden provide a perfect setting for a cup of tea.


H.H. always wanted seating around a tree trunk. This one in the Walnut Dell provides views of our corn fields and woods beyond.


Some seating in my garden is just whimsy.

I know that gardeners are usually so busy working they have no time to rest. Determined to enjoy my efforts more, I begin each day sitting in my garden as I meditate, then plan the days activities. I didn't sit outside for long this morning, however, with the dramatic fall in temperature since Autumn arrived. I spent just a few minutes in the rocking chair on the back porch.


Do you have inviting places to sit in your garden?

Pamela x




I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

19 comments:

  1. You must be spoilt for choice with all those lovely places to sit and relax. I do like your swing, it's something I'd definitely have in my own garden if I had the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your benches and chairs and all the seating scattered around your garden. Comfortable seating is particularly important to the gardener of a certain age I find. I work in my garden in short spurts and then I sit and contemplate what I've done and plan my next move, so I do have seating all around my garden, most of it not nearly as attractive as yours - but functional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes - the seats are both a focal point to enjoy looking at, and lovely to sit down and enjoy the view! Even in our small garden we have 4 places to sit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it all. Thank you for sharing spots we haven't seen before. How big IS that corn field?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have about 8 acres under cultivation. Beyond the fields we have 12 or more acres of woods. Astolat Farm is a beautiful property. I feel blessed to live here. P. x

      Delete
  5. You really have your garden seating covered. I did like seeing in the potting shed. Chanticleer has a lot of seating too and some in very special spots. I will be in PA next week and was wondering what it is like at Chanticleer in October. I won't have time to visit this trip and do see current photos on their FB page. It looks like they still have a lot of bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are more blooms at Chanticleer than here right now, being so much further south than the Poconos. I have lots of annuals still, so quite a bit of color. But you will be disappointed that the leaves haven't changed yet. P x

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness: You do have some fabulous sitting spots! I love your potting shed! How nice to have a private spot for reading a book and relaxing in the garden. We have a few seating spots, too, but I need to add more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to have so many seats on lovely spots. They are great to look at and to sit and enjoy the view. My favorite place to sit is on the bench with a view on the pond and the tree trunk seat with a view to the fields, I also love that rocking chair in the potting shed, can imagine I should sit there pondering about new seeds to sow.
    We also have different places to sit in the garden, for sun and shadow and just a chair for the view over the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are spoiled for choice in your garden! What a feast of lovely places to choose from! Our choices in our garden are led by which spots are in the sun at that particular time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post, filled with lovely seating arrangements among your great plantings.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely assortment of garden seats you have included in your gardens! They are such an important element, allowing us and visitors to rest and linger in an area. What a good reminder fo us all to include more of them (making a mental note...). Best Regards, -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Pam, and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :) I don't have a garden, but yours is gorgeous and how nice to see a 90 year old visitor, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Linda. My 90 year old friend still gardens giving me hope and inspiration. P.x

      Delete
  12. May I invite myself over for a garden sit? Let's see. Well, I can't pick which seat I would like to try first, so I'll just have to sit in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a fun post ! I love places to sit in the garden. One of mine is due for a makeover next year, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your seating arrangement Pam. Even in a small garden like ours there is room for several seating areas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A few visitors mentioned to me that I needed a bench or chair at the end of the yard, under a tree, to look back towards to house and enjoy the view of both garden and house. I think a whimsy chair like yours would do the trick, as I am usually on the deck looking out toward the back.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete