Saturday, January 30, 2016

Dude and Billy: My Gardening Buddies

 
I'm never lonely when I'm gardening because I have my buddies nearby: Dude, a miniature horse, and Billy, a pigmy goat. The cottage garden is next to the large paddock and the kitchen garden shares a fence with their pasture. They stand by the fence that is closest to where I am working hoping I'll toss a tasty weed their way.

Please don't offend Dude by calling him a pony because, although pony-like in appearance, miniature horses are nevertheless small horses. Dude is 28 inches high. My mother bought him as my retirement gift when he was seven years old, more than 10 years ago. Dude is a triple registered miniature stallion with the registered name Amaretto's Top Dude. A very calm, friendly animal, you can do just about anything with him. His features aren't as refined as some miniature horses, but Dude is all about 'cute.'

Dude was seven years old when we first saw him.

As long as H.H. can remember there were horses at Astolat Farm -- he and his sister rode palominos when they were growing up here. Dude arrived when there were no other animals, therefore we were afraid that as an only child he would be lonely, especially as there were other minis at his previous home. H.H. found a pigmy goat to keep Dude company. Unfortunately, no one told Billy that pigmy goats are supposed to stay tiny like Dude. Billy just 'growed like Topsy.' It's hard to believe, looking at him now, what a cute little kid he was.


Billy came to Astolat a couple of months after Dude

Dude didn't take kindly to Billy at first, fearing he would take his food. When we put Billy in the stall, the horse pushed him (gently with  his nose) out of the stable and into the snow. This was repeated each time we returned the goat to the stall. We put a wooden crate in there as a place where Billy could go for safety. Eventually, Dude accepted him.

With the crate lid closed, Billy feels safe inside. He still squeezes into it today.

Billy began to follow Dude everywhere; now they are inseparable. We're sure Billy thinks Dude is his mother.


We always say we keep animals for the grandchildren but, unfortunately, because of allergies they don't spend too much time with them. We've had fun though, like the horse-themed birthday party I gave when Dude was ten years old. We invited all Dude's best friends including our grandchildren, our nephew and the children who come with their mother to deliver hay. They arrived with gifts of horse treats and carrots. The children played games like 'pin the tail on the mini horse' -- actually a picture of a donkey, but they used their imaginations. H.H. put a saddle over a hay bale and they took turns pretending to ride horse. They whacked a horse pinata hanging from the catalpa tree and scrambled for the candy that fell out. H.H. set up the old gramophone and a vinyl record of Western songs for musical chairs on the lawn. I served a birthday cake with a picture of horses and (Pocono) mountains. The writing on the cake said, "Happy 10th Birthday, Dude" and when H.H. picked it up from the bakery they asked, "Who is Dude?" When he told them Dude was his wife's miniature horse I'm sure they thought we were mad.

Dude enjoyed his tenth birthday party.
Grandson on one of his visits to the farm taking Dude for a walk

One summer, two young white tailed deer spent their days on our property. I sprayed and sprayed all my plants with repellent and they did very little damage. The fawns grazed the lawn with Dude.

They smelled the repellent and didn't eat the shrub ...
... instead they dined with Dude on grass.

Waiting at the paddock fence for me to throw some weeds to them.

Dude and Billy like to romp and play, although now they are older (Dude will be 18 this year and Billy will be 11) they don't cavort as often. When they do chase each other around the paddock they tire more easily and then need a nap.

I told them they looked ridiculous but they didn't care.

Each fall Dude begins to develop a thick winter coat to protect him from the cold to come. He likes to roll in the fall leaves -- especially when I have just groomed him.


Leaves in your mane, Dude?


Here they're eating second-cut orchard hay which is their preference when they are not in the pasture.

Billy loves corn cobs. Actually he eats most anything.

Billy is considered old for a goat now, but Dude should have several more years ahead of him. We talk about getting a baby goat soon so that Dude wont be alone when Billy dies. We are not sure how a third animal will fit in though -- Dude and Billy might gang up on the poor little thing. Our vet thinks we should give it a try. Maybe we will visit 'Last Chance Ranch' a farm animal rescue place near here and see if they have any goats.

 With Dude and Billy I'm never lonely when I'm gardening. Do you have a special gardening buddy?

Love,
Pamela x






~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

18 comments:

  1. OMG Billy was SO cute as a kid! I'm glad they are so happy together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Billy was at least a year old when you and I became friends, Mary Anne. Dude and Billy are so close if one goes away the other is distraught. When Billy was in the animal hospital for a few days, Dude paced the fence and whinnied. P. x

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. They look so sweet flaked out! I'm looking forward to hearing if you do get another goat, though if you go to the rehoming place might you come back with more than one new resident? I know I would! I had cats when growing up and very much hope to get another. As a child my dear Annie was my devoted companion. I just have to persuade my husband...Jen




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right that we may leave the animal shelter with more than planned!

      Delete
  3. Pam, your friends are adorable! And what fun for kids! I was smiling while reading your post! The sixth picture from the bottom (sleeping) is my favorite.
    Thank you!!!
    I have two dogs-helpers in my garden. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see your big, big dogs in your garden postings, Tatyana. P. x

      Delete
  4. What a lovely story. Lucky you to have these gardening buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this post, I'm sure our animals are our best companions in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, what adorable buddies you have! I love how you threw a birthday party for Dude. :-) And they were so comical when sleeping! Our outdoor cat used to lie on the back of my calves when I was kneeling down to pull weeds (which was pretty cute), but your buddies are much better. Thanks for sharing their story! -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting dynamics with three animals.
    Our two cats are still, sorting themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet! The names are extra fun, and I enjoyed your stories. Love the photo of them taking a nap together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. Dude came with his name and Billy's name was chosen by a grandson who gave it a lot of thought. He considered Snowy and Rudolph, then decided all goats are Billy Goats. P. x

      Delete
  9. They are gorgeous Pam. Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they are wonderful! I love the photo of Dude and the deer. Introducing new animals is always a worry... I have been doing this lately. I was recently overheard telling a hen to "be a buddy not a bully". Clearly sitting animals down and giving them advice is not the way forward. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, aren't they the cutest couple, and Dude is so tiny. Your story reminded me of the time when Myra said to my mum who was 90 at the time, (I think I will get another cat) mother said, you already have a cat why do you need another, Myra's response was something along the lines of the cat may die, mother wasted no time in saying does that mean you have another man lined up in case your husband dies. Mother is 95 now, she was always the master of one liners.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, what a special bond they have. I do love the posts where you write about Dude and Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoyed your post, Pam. I also always like seeing Dude. He is adorable. My Arabian would have towered over him. Billy was so cute when a youngster, I thought pygmy goats stayed small. Since Dude is 18", I guess Billy still is pretty small. You have wonderful friends to accompany you when gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, what adorable gardening buddies!! And what a fun birthday party! I would love a gardening buddy or two, but my cats are indoor cats and have to suffice with sitting in the windows and watching me.

    ReplyDelete