Monday, March 30, 2015

In a Vase on Monday


One of the many joys of garden blogging is linking with gardeners all around the world to see what is growing in their yards each week of the year. This is especially gratifying during those months when nothing is blooming here. One of my favorite memes, 'In a Vase on Monday,'  cheers me on those bloom-barren days. 'In a Vase on Monday' is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden. My recent, enjoyable exploration of Cathy's wonderful blog revealed that she lives in a part of England near where I was raised. Needless to say, I am now a follower. Now, for the first time this year, I have something blooming to place in a vase: the branches I forced last week. This posting, therefor, is my initial participation in Cathy's meme.

To learn how I forced the branches you can read last week's posting here. I forced forsythia, crabapple, bridal veil spirea, and mock orange. The forsythia is blooming, the other branches have fattening buds. I added pussy willow boughs that I bought from Shoprite.

White hoary frost on Ground crunches beneath my feet Forsythia blooms

Read more at: http://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/the_forsythia_blooms_201589
White hoary frost on Ground crunches beneath my feet Forsythia blooms

Read more at: http://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/the_forsythia_blooms_201589
Forsythia
Fattening buds on the crabapple.
Green buds on the spirea and mock orange.
Pussy willow's furry catkin.

The vase I used is a new acquisition from Home Goods. We were looking for accessories for our bathroom renovations when we came across this beauty. I purchased a matching dinner plate to complete the look.



Flowering Bulbs Update

The bulbs I showed in my last posting, tulips, hyacinth, violets and daffodils, are now in full bloom...


I wish you could smell the wonderful perfume of the hyacinth.

I deadheaded the daffodils and await  new buds to open. I made a vignette atop the jelly cabinet in the kitchen. Lots of pretty English china in that spot.



I placed tulips on each bathroom vanity, as an excuse to show off the renovations now they are completed.

Peach-colored tulips in the downstairs bathroom.
Red tulips on the new Victorian vanity in the master bathroom.
If you have two pennies,
spend one on a loaf
and one on a flower.

The bread will give you life,
the flower a reason for living.

Chinese proverb

Going back to my vase of forced branches: I probably wont participate in the meme every week, but I will be sure to visit Cathy's blog regularly to check out her arrangements and concoctions from bloggers around the world. Wont you join me?

What are you placing in a vase today?
Pamela x

Pussy willows and vase gifted to me by my friend Karen some years ago.

~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited! 
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

23 comments:

  1. How lovely all of your flowers and buds are, but I confess I especially like the forsythia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pam. Your master bathroom!!! It is gorgeous. Your house is very cosy and lovely. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colorful 'indoor' spring! So beautiful, so fascinating! have a wonderful spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that Chinese proverb :) And thank you for showing us not only how easy it is to 'force' twigs into bud but also for spreading your blooming delights all around your house! You clearly have a reason for living ;) Thanks for joining in today and for your good wishes - did you tell me where it was you were raised?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised in the West Midlands, too, Cathy. Lived near Cannock and went to school in Lichfield.

      Delete
  5. Pam this is a wonderful spring vase....I was finally able to dig down and get a few branches of forsythia this past weekend. I hope they bloom this weekend. I love the jug...lovely for spring. And all those cheery spring blooms all over the house are perfect. Love that Master Bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made your home so full of spring, lovely. I think the new vase is wonderful with the forsythia and all those tulips even on your new Victorian vanity which is a beautiful piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you've started linking to Cathy's meme -what wonderful vases you have to share. I've never tried or even heard of forcing branches. Our winters are much shorter in Texas, but there is still a lull in blossoms from December to February, so this will be a good trick to keep in mind. Similar to you, I try to make up for it by forcing bulbs indoors during that time. What a lovely way to add color indoors - and to keep the blooms going longer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impatiently waiting for the first blooms here. Used to gather cat tail branches at the creek to force. They are gone now thanks to the farmer that needed to plow that extra 5 feet of land. Love the way you used teapots for flowers. Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The forsythia looks fabulous in a vase. I have it in my garden but have never cut it for indoors, I may just do that this year. Can you believe that I've still got my Mother's Day flowers in my vases at the moment, they've lasted well over two weeks so far, the only thing which has faded is the gerbera but the rest of the blooms are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forced hyacinth this year and they are on their way. Usually I do tulips and cherry blossoms, but will likely just buy the tulips from the grocery store. They have such a nice selection each year. I did see a few tulips leaves in the garden. Spring weather is coming, but snow on Saturday. Your arrangements are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your vase with the branches and the potted bulbs are wonderful. It must be nice to have spring flowers in the house. I also love the tea cup holder and the plants in the tea set.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love forsythia, I have a dwarf one in a container and it is now in full flower. Your vase is so pretty and I can just imagine the scent of the hyacinths in your house! Have a good Easter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the sights of Spring, I wonder at my wisdom of never having planted the forsythia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spring has arrived indoors, lets hope it moves outside soon!
    Your bulbs are holding up well and still look so nice, and I love how well your branches have come along.
    I was caught off guard by Easter this year and had to rush out back yesterday for a handful of pussywillow. There's just not enough time to get the forsythia going, its buds are barely swelling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh and the bathrooms look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely flowers! Spring has so many well needed colors to offer after a gloomy winter. In todays post D as in Dianthus I have linked to your blog. I think your garden is a great example of a cottage garden. I hope you stop by. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your blog, Charlotte, and I love it! Thank you for linking to mine and for your kind comments.

      Delete
  17. I was recently introduced to Cathy's meme, what a wonderful idea. Can't wait for the snow to melt here so I can participate. I love bouquets of fresh flowers. Your daffodils and other plants in the teapots are lovely. Great idea for a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I miss pussy willows! And that Victorian vanity is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks beautiful, Pam!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. what fun to see your new bathrooms!
    We are still almost there. Tomorrow and then the snag list next week.

    ReplyDelete