Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Alan's Garden

Timber bamboo in the forefront
Each time I walk to the bus stop, or the grocery store, from my mother's house in England, I pass Alan's garden. A high fence surrounds the back garden, hiding the botanical delights within, but along the street I pass this magnificent shrubbery, full of textures and color even on a dreary November day. Shades of green and yellow, punctuated with red, blue and silver make a striking contrast. The textures, from soft bamboo to spiky sedge, change with the play of light, shadow and viewing distance.

The clumps of blue bells are of the Canterbury bells family.




Cotoneaster and andromeda
The cotoneaster is sometimes called the burglar plant because its spiky form is often planted under windows to deter intruders.

Conifer being trained into pompom style
Canterbury bells, euonymus, cotoneaster berries, Oregan grape, and unknown leaf.

Skimmia Japonica 'Rubella'
Perennial geranium
A favorite shrub of mine is viburnum and I am delighted to see the remnants of beautiful blossoms remaining here ...


The sunflower stepping-stone is an integral part of the back garden landscape -- on the other side of the fence. 
Alan's lawn is perfect. It is surrounded by beautiful curved beds planted with a variety of shrubs and perennial flowers. A large forest fir, abies forrestii, provides shade near the seating area.



Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star', Eucalyptus, and viburnum


I love the spiky texture of the phormium tenax purpureum
A striking feature of Alan's garden are the many beautiful planters, such as these in a corner by his potting shed ...


A winding, gravel path leads to a secluded sitting area ...


The focal point of the garden is a striking blue pot containing the magnolia 'Mother of the Bride'. It is flowering, although it shouldn't at this time of the year ...


Mother of the Bride

I thank Alan for inviting me into his lovely garden. I am sure you will agree with me, dear gardening friends, that his many hours of work have paid off. I am feeling inspired and hope you are, too.


At this Thanksgiving time, I am thankful for all those friends who share my love of gardening!

Love, Pamela x

~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

24 comments:

  1. Pam I have been away too long...what a wonderful post to come back to....Alan's garden is indeed lovely...Happy Thanksgiving Pam and I hope you are well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Pam his garden is indeed beautiful. I wish my edges along my beds looked so neat. LOL! I love the shapes and the pots. You can tell he loves the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree...Alan's garden is lovely and inspirational. I love the edging, the graveled paths and the unique planters. Thanks for sharing and have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, Thank you for sharing Alan's garden with us. Such unique and beautiful things there. Happy Thanksgiving! May blessings abound...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a fab garden...well kept too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I don't think mine will ever be as tidy as that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan has two wonderful gardens there, I love how he has shaped the lawn and how he has created the focal point. Hope everything went well while you were in England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tour of Alan's beautiful garden! I especially like the big blue pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful garden! I love the back, but I'm so impressed with the front. How nice for any passers-by to experience some beauty and joy. He must give such pleasure to so many without even realizing how many lives he is touching. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan has a lovely garden, with interest at every turn. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when gardeners share their passion by expanding their gardens along public walks. Just wonderful! Thanks for sharing his lovely garden with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I just love the curves of the garden accented by the meticulous and lush lawn. It almost looks like the garden is the frame for the beautiful lawn.

    I love the circle with the blue pot in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful garden and lovely photos. Almost Winter and still so much to inspire in a cared for garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous garden,,,quite inspiring xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful garden obviously created with lots of love. Thanks for walking us through it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How many gardners does he employ? lol. Nice tour and very interesting.
    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alan does have a most beautiful garden. Loved all the curving beds with such alluring lines.

    How happy his neighbors must be to have this garden to view on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the peek inside the fence! The grouping of pots is gorgeous and I love the potted magnolia - what a great idea to train it on an obelisk. The garden looks like it will provide interest all through winter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A cheering sight this time of year - so much thought and care in Alan's garden. I do hope you are coping with the difficultes you're having to face Pam. In my thoughts x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful, eye pleasing photographs Pam. I am considering to reconstruct my garden from French look but still hesitating - thinking of different garden styles...hmm, browsing your blog has added a lot of points for the English choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alan's garden is stupendous, gorgeous. Thank you for sharing its intimacies with all of us.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delightful garden. It gives me more inspiration for my own garden. Thanks for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pam, I hope you had a lovely Christmas, and all the best for 2012.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete